Thursday 4 August 2011

M a r t a b a k

Martabak Telur- Savory Martabak

Martabak is a thin pastry filled with egg, lamb meat, shallots and spring onions, then pan-fried.  It is a savoury dish, formerly come from Saudi Arabia.

This martabak is very popular to take away food in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and Brunei (South East Asia). Usually made by street vendors in the evening, there are two types of Martabak: one is Martabak manis (sweet), and the other one is martabak asin (savoury) or martabak telur.

Martabak Susy's Style Garnished with Pickled Carrots
We often had a treat from this take away when I was little, my mother loved to buy the savoury one (martabak telur).  I don't think I ever taste the sweet one.  Today I want to relive that experience by cooking the martabak telur. Technically the pastry of the martabak only able to be achieved by the professional.  I am as a home cook, I cook martabak by my own method.

I use my water pastry, look up my older post.  For small martabak you need two eggs, and for the family size you need 6 eggs.  In Indonesia, the martabak is made out of duck's eggs, not hen's eggs.



Martabak Susy's style

Ingredients for six serves
The filling:
6 large eggs
6 shallots, sliced finely
6 spring onion or chives, chopped finely
1 cup cooked lamb minced meat
Salt, nutmeg and white pepper to taste
(beat the eggs lightly and mix together with
the other ingredients)
1 batch of Susy's water pastry.
Oil for shallow frying/pan-fry
 * instead of meat I replace ricotta cheese for a variation

Preparation and Cooking  The Martabak





Martabak is served with Acar Carrots and
fresh red chillies
The martabak's "skin" is made by spinning the pastry until very thin, like filo pastry. Then it is shallow-fried in a custom made a flat round heavy metal. While the skin or pastry is laid flat on it, the egg mixture is then poured in. Then the pastry is folded quickly while being fried, making a rectangular wrap. This requires mastery in cooking technique. When it is done, the martabak is cut into smaller squares for serving. It is often enjoyed together with pickled diced cucumber, and a dark brown sauce made of vinegar and palm sugar. (Wikipedia)
Until Next Time
Susy

1 comment: