Sunday 14 August 2011

Lettuces

Green Lettuces To Mesclun


There is nothing more refreshing than to have salad greens or mix lettuces after eating very rich meals.  Salad bowls are the key to my food presentations at my table.  I could have fresh salad daily; however, my family likes to have a change, my husband prefers cooked vegetables.  It is a good thing too because in winter I do not have a lot of lettuces in my vegetable garden.

My Living Salad Bowl in the Back Yard

Last week, it was raining a lot, now the sun is here.  The sun is shining today,  it has been since yesterday.  It's almost like springtime.  The warmth of the Sun brought me comfort and invited me to do more activities.   No time for sulking only time for smiling. Wasn't it great!

Mix Fresh Greens and Radicchio from My Garden

Colourful and So Fresh

I took my basket, and off I went to the back yard to collect all the lettuces that I have.  There are not many but enough for my mesclun salad.  These are what I have: radicchio, lamb lettuce, rockets-self showed,  and I found a wild rocket, and last but not least is the French sorrels-they are there all year round.  I will make a fresh plain salad - Susy's mesclun salad.  It is simple, fresh mix lettuces, no nuts, no cheese, no meat.


Washing the Mesclun
Mesclun Salad with Orange Vinaigrette Dressing










The Dressing:
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup juice of a fresh orange
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon shredded orange peels
Mix the ingredients together.'


What is mesclun?  Mesclun is a salad mix of assorted small, young salad leaves which originated in Provence, France.  The traditional mix includes chervil, arugula, leafy lettuces and endive in equal proportions, but in modern iterations may consist of an undetermined mix of fresh and available lettuces, spinach, arugula (rocket, or roquette), Swiss chard (God's Breath), mustard greens (Dijon's Child), endive, dandelion, frisée, mizuna, mache (Lamb's Lettuce), radicchio (Italian Spinach), sorrel, and /or other leafy vegetables.

The Mesclun from my vegetable garden

The name comes from Provencal (Southern France)-mescla'to mix'-and literally means  'mixture'. (Wikipedia)

I love my mesclun, I served this salad with a lot of different dishes, from grilled to fried food, and also I like to help it at the end of a fatty meal, especially if we have beef ragu (ragout of beef)

It has been an enjoyable day for me to be in the garden,  gathering the mesclun, and also washing the mesclun, eating the very best and fresh mesclun salad.

Until next post
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment