Friday 12 August 2011

Lotis

Lotis-Javanese Fruit Salad

Pomelo and Yacon are the fruits that I use for the Lotis. I harvested the pomelo and the yacon from my garden a while ago.  Today the sun is out, and I am celebrating the day with this refreshing fruits salad. These two fruits are served with palm sugar dressing.   The Lotis is the original fruit salad from Java. The traditional fruit for the lotis is tropical fruits such as mangoes, papayas, star-fruits, pineapples, pomelo, guavas, even cucumbers. 


Pomelo, Yacon Lotis With Palm Sugar Dressing


Recipe

Palm Sugar Dressing

1/2 palm sugar, grated - you can get it from the Asian Grocery.
2 tablespoons tamarind juice
2 tablespoons water
1 chilli, chopped
1 small slice of ginger, grated
1 juice of a lime
1/4 teaspoon salt
Place all the ingredients in a blender
Blend and mix to make a smooth and saucy dressing.
(you could use mortar and pestle to make this dressing)

I use any fresh fruits in season for this fruit salad -Lotis: apple, pineapple, strawberries, mango etc.

Most ingredients for the dressing you could find them in the Asian Grocery shops.






Showing  Off  My  Orchids

White Cymbidium Orchids


My second orchids that are flowering this year. 
I brought them inside the house, they are in the living room now, so we can enjoy the pure white and serene bloom.  Beautiful!


Until next time
Susy

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mum, you should show off your orchids! Ours need fertilizing, I think, because they're limp. Yours look bursting with moisture and so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi mum, I'm making this recipe to bring to Sarah's new years BBQ tonight- its really hot today, so I think this will go down very well!

    I don't have any tamarind on hand, so I used extra lime and lemon. I also used the zest of the lime for added colour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good on you Susan, extra lime and lemon are good too and the zest of the lime makes the lotis looks better.

    Happy New Year 2012.

    mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete