Friday 5 August 2011

Gudeg

Gudeg is the traditional cooking from Yogyakarta, it is a savoury dish that served with steamed white rice.  It's served for lunch or dinner.  The ingredients for traditional gudeg are young jack fruit, meat and eggs; they are braised very slowly in coconut milk. It is cooked in an earthware clay pot, over a simple stove for a few hours.  The Gudeg has a very dark brown colour, it is not a very good looking dish, it looks so tired-messy and unappealing, but the taste is good.

The Gudeg in a Pot

There are variations of Gudeg:  Gudeg Kobis ( Gudeg Cabbage), Gudeg Manggar (Gudeg of Young Coconut Flower) Gudeg Kembang Gedang (Gudeg Banana's Flower).  But the most common one is Gudeg Tewel (Gudeg Young Jack fruit ), and you can buy it in the street stalls or even in Rumah Makan (the Eatery).

I cooked gudeg Kobis.  The red cabbage was used here, to replace the young jack fruit (the primary ingredient).  I put all components and the rich spices; coriander, galangal, candlenuts, salam leaves, and palm sugar on earthware pot. It's braised in coconut milk in the slow oven for 2 hours.  The result was good enough, and the taste was almost the same as the original gudeg in Java.  It does look unattractive at all, but taste so "YUM".

As far as nutrition value is concerned,  I am not too sure, because all the ingredients have been cooked for a long time.  This dish is just the play of flavours and your taste bud, it is an acquired taste.  Other you Like It, or you Don't.

Gudeg and the accompaniments: White rice, Sambel Goreng Krecek, or tofu, Chicken and Egg,

Nasi Gudeg

1. Steamed White Rice
2. Hot Sambal Goreng
3.The Gudeg
4.The Chicken
5.The Egg


Next time I will cook the real gudeg.  I have to find the Young jack fruit, I may have to go to a particular grocery shop.


Have a great weekend to you all, and thanks for visiting my blog.
Susy

2 comments:

  1. Looks delish! Was it for a special occasion?? I would like to eat what's in the photo, without preparing it, ha ha! Probably the only time I don't cook dinner for everyone is at your place - a real treat for me. Also for everyone else as they love nana's cooking (except for mushrooms, hee, hee)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it was not for a special occasion, I miss the dish. When you come home, I will cook for you. MUM xx

    ReplyDelete