Sunday 18 March 2012

Where is the Man?!

To Cook and To Serve Souffle

I tried to cook a  savoury souffle last time, and it was not successful.  I have learnt a lot from my mistakes.  Now I am trying to do it again with a different flavour.  It is pumpkin and cheese souffle. I am hoping it will work.

Pumpkin and Cheese Souffle

To serve souffle is somewhat tricky, it is all about the drama.  Tell the family that dinner or lunch is served at a specific time.  Make sure that everyone is at the table, ready for the presentation of the souffle right from the oven. They will see the beauty, the height of the souffle, which looks so amazing.  And of course, they will enjoy it's delicate, airy and lightness.

A Light Lunch
The pumpkin and cheese souffle was looking great while it is baking in the oven, the last three minutes baking time, the souffle has risen almost to the roof, so high.  I was so proud,  I opened the oven and touched it whether it's ready or not.  It was firm on top and slightly wobbly it shook.
It's going to be spectacular when I brought them to the table, I thought.  But I forgot to tell my husband-Rayner about it, that has to be at the table at 12. 30.  Where is Rayner, where is the man?!  He was out on errands, I remembered, luckily he got home just about a few minutes after.


It was a light lunch. Indeed, the souffle was airy, soft, and light,  well could have been better if the height remained, it did not hold the shape for long.

The Baking
soon after the two pots of souffle were out from the oven

Souffle was out from the oven beautifully with a right height, but suddenly it resided. We had it for lunch, tasted good, it was airy, light and fluffy.


Things to remember:
  1. The base of the souffle is cooled to room temperature, not too warm
  2. Egg white is beaten too stiff peak, not over whipped.
  3. Always fold a quarter of your egg whites into your base first to loosen up, before you go folding in the rest of the whites
  4. Do not over fold, it will deflate your whites.
  5. The oven is hot enough, but not too hot or too cold.
  6. Timing is essential, make sure everyone is at table
  7.  Serving straight away, after it is cooked, no delay.
For the second time I tried to assess myself, what did I do wrong, I ticked all the seven tips.  I baked them for 23-25 minutes as the ramekins were large.  Did I overbeat the egg white?

No, I am not ready to bake and serve souffles for my family to get together.  I will try again and learn more.
Pumpkin and Cheese Souffle Mixture

    Until Next Post
    Susy

    No comments:

    Post a Comment