Thursday 22 March 2012

Rustic Orak - Arik

Cooking With Eggs

Eggs are essential for our diet, as well as essential ingredients in cooking.
Most people start the day to have their breakfast with eggs, poached or fried.  For supper, to have eggs on toast or omelette with a salad is healthy enough.

To cook eggs with the difference.
At my parents home, we used to have this dish 'orak-arik', it is stir-fried a beautiful shredded cabbage toss in lightly beaten eggs.  It tastes delicious to go with steamed rice.
I cooked the 'orak-arik' differently today, using red cabbage, served with yellow lemongrass rice. It is not the traditional Javanese cooking at all. I do it my way this time, but the flavour is almost the same.

Yellow Lemon Grass Rice with Orak-Arik
Garnished with Spiced Sautéed Pumpkin and Beans

Orak-Arik
using shredded red cabbage


The orak-arik made of shredded red cabbage does not look great, but then the taste is the same as the savoy cabbage, only the texture is not quite the same.

Rustic Orak-Arik (eggs, stirred in sautéed shredded cabbages)

Ingredients:
a cup shredded savoy cabbage
(in this recipe I used red cabbage)
1 large shallot, peeled and sliced finely
2 eggs
salt and pepper to taste
Vegetable oil to cook
Green leaves salads to garnish.

Cooking Preparation
my presentation of rice and orak-arik


tasting orak-arik with the rice


Orak-Arik is a home cooking for family meals in Java, it is not a typical dish that you can buy in the shop or restaurant. 
I am glad that I cooked the dish with a twist, the flavour is Javanese, but the presentation/serving of the plate is not Javanese at all.  I think my mother would not mind.


Happy Cooking Everyone.

Until Next Post
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment