Thursday 1 March 2012

My Dutch Bike

My New Bicycle is One today.

The eve before my Dutch bike's first anniversary was raining.  I was planning to go for a ride, but I did not; anyway that was OK.  To be able to ride a bicycle again after a long rest is a significant achievement for me.  I did not believe that I could ride it again.   Rayner-my husband said to me that anyone never forgets to ride a bicycle once you know how to. He is right.

I saw this bike in the Bicycle store, I was tempted to have it, well because I loved the look.  It reminded me of my bicycle when I was a young girl, only the colour was black.  After a lot of thought, I decided to get it.  Since I was not sure to ride it yet,  Bob - the owner of the bike's store, delivered it for me.  That afternoon I started to learn how to ride it, and I was very nervous.

As always Rayner helps me whatever I wish to do, he took me for practice until I was confident enough to ride by myself on the footpath.  It took a while for me to do, it was very wobbly to start off, but I did get better after a few practices.  The children could not believe that I have gone back to cycle until they have seen it.  I have no more excuses now of running out milk or eggs because I could easily hop onto my bike to do a little grocery shopping.

Since then I have been cycling around in the area where I live, now and then we go to the CBD when the weather is dry and sunny.  I ride my bike as my transport to the table tennis centre twice a week if the wheater is good.   It has been great to have a new bike, it is not only for sport but to help me to have a better concentration as well.  Cycling is very addictive, I love it.  One day I rode the bike to drop some of my vegetables harvest to a friend.  I am pleased to do it again.

My Dutch Bike and Rayner's Fuji Sunfire Bike

About two months ago Rayner got himself a new bicycle too, a good one this time.  He rides daily, and he really loves it.   He is a competent rider by far than me of course!
Every time I am riding, it brought back fun memories of my childhood, I did ride a lot.  I will continue riding it as long as I could.  I have owned the bike for one year today, but it looks so new because I did not ride it as much as other people would do.  But I will, I must and I shall.  One year has gone so fast.

sliced apple and rhubarb bread with white chocolate
On that note I say: Happy First Birthday Bike, it has been great to have you.

To mark the occasion, I baked a loaf of apple and rhubarb bread, sliced and sprinkled with white chocolate to serve.  It is a pick you up food after playing sports.
Any celebration, I love sharing my home cooking with friends.  It was very well received. Some people did not want to take it because they were on a diet.

Now you know, what transport I have, there are not many Dutch bikes around in my town, I am glad and proud to have it.  I think it is so cute and elegant at the same time.

Today is the first day of autumn, everyone is feeling fresh because of the rains.  Have happy and fruitful autumn to you all.


autumn colour for my hydrangeas
 the pictures were taken today on the first day of autumn


Until Next Post
Susy

2 comments:

  1. I will look for you travelling in the neighbourhood now! The apple/rhubarb bread looks delicious especially when topped with chocolate! Happy 1st! (I'm lilke you...celebrate many things!)I love your blog and need to visit it more often!!February was a great month!xxB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda

      I am glad that you love my blog, thanks for your kind and lovely comments.

      Susy
      xx

      Delete