Thursday 29 March 2012

Salads for Autumn

Fresh salads for this season, using seasonal vegetables and herbs.  I harvested two figs so far, they are the green fig with delicate pink flesh. Fresh figs are very refreshing for salads.  The green beans from my garden are finished now, we have been enjoying them for mixed salad.

Sweet and Sour Figs Salad


I serve the fig salad with meat dishes or grilled cheeses.  I enjoyed this salad with rice and double cooked meat pork.  The flavour combination reminds me of the meal that I had in Java. I had this kind of delicious salad for lunch at the time when my first child was born. It did make me a little nostalgic.

Mixed vegetable salad with Feta cheese.
Sliced green beans, Kepler potatoes, tomatoes, cos lettuces, egg and Feta cheese, dressed with olive oil, mixed fresh herb and a dash of lime.  Straightforward salad, it has to be served on the same day
It is an excellent garnish for meat, fish or pie dishes


Mixed Vegetable Salad with Feta cheese

Autumn is the season when I can prepare fresh salads to serve with hot dishes.  Some people if they cook hot meals, the garnished has to be warm too, but I do differently, fresh salads bring out the flavour of the dish, and the taste is refreshing.

Until Next Post
Susy

2 comments:

  1. We also serve salads with a hot main. I agree, it's very refreshing. So jealous that you have your own figs, Mum!

    x

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can plant a fig tree in a pot like I do. It is easy enough.

    love
    mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete