Wednesday 28 March 2012

Baking Day

It is good sometimes to have a baking day, that way you can be organised. Have all the cooking needs, the ingredients, the tins, and so forth ready.  I often bake for the family and for special occasions, such as birthdays, baptisms, etc.






Today is the anniversary of my blog. To celebrate, I baked cheese pie for its birthday and some delicate scones to share.  I am very eager to do so because it happens only once a year.



Cheese and Vegetable Pie, with Fresh Herbs
The Birthday Pie for The first Anniversary for My Blog


The cheese pies looked good and tasted excellent, with my very own rich water pastry. The pastry is fragile, light and yet very crispy. Savouries are my favourite food, I love them,  just as well I am good at it.




The Preparation
Susy's rich water pastry with melted butter/oil for brushing




Look up my older post for water pastry, the precious water pastry is similar to it but contains one egg, reduce the quantity of warm water by a third, now you have Susy's rich water pastry.  Have you tried the water pastry yet?, I won't' blame you if you have not, you can always by filo pastry, which is readily available in any supermarket, but you miss the fun though!



Susy's Scones filled with Jam, Cream and Dust with Icing Sugar 


The Baking and Decorating
Delicate and Delicious Full Scones


The Recipe
Susy's Scones
Ingredients
2 level cups self-raising flour
35 g butter
1 egg, beat lightly
2 teaspoons caster sugar
2/3 cup of milk
extra flour for dusting
Method
Rub the butter to flour thoroughly
Add in the caster sugar, mix
Make a well in the middle of the flour mix
Add in the egg, milk at the same time
Mix them together quickly but lightly to make a soft dough
Transfer the dough to a floured surface, knead gently
Roll into a large even thickness about one centimetre
Cut the dough with a small scone cutter
It makes 16 scones

To serve
Serve as a full scone or open scone as you like.
The full scone: cut it into two, spread with the jam, top it with whipped cream then close it with the top of the scone.  Dust with icing powder to serve.


I did my own jam, it was a plum jam.  A friend of mine- Lyn gave the fruit from her garden.
Homemade jam, home baked scones of my own recipe.  They were a delightful treat to share.



Give the recipe a go, you may enjoy the scones for your pleasant morning or afternoon tea.  Happy Baking.





Enjoy the midweek everyone, thank you all for visiting my blog.



Until Next Post
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment