Monday 28 November 2011

Herbs

Fresh Herbs   -    Dried Herbs


Herbs are used in cooking and also for medicinal purposes since early civilisation.  At one time or another, most herbs have been regarded as having their own particular medicinal properties.  According to John Gerrard, the Elizabethan physician, thyme was supposed to help against 'the bitings of any venomous beast', hyssop helped the 'old cough' etc.
The old herbalists ascribed as 'virtue', as they called it, to almost every herb.


To have fresh herbs, the living plants in the garden is essential for me, as I use a lot of herbs in my cooking. 
Young leaves of the fresh herbs are excellent to add in a mesclun, collection of leafy greens.  Today I prepared a refreshing salad for my family.  I picked all young herbs that I needed for this salad-oregano, sorrels, mints and chives and the budding flowers of the chives.  It was a treat, indeed.  The dressing was so simple, it consists of lemon juice, salt and excellent quality olive oil.


Middle Eastern Taste:  Refreshing Salad with Halloumi, Walnut and Pine Nuts





Cooking with Fresh Herbs
 European Cooking
Sage, thyme and parsley are three herbs that go very well in cooking chicken. Rosemary for lamb, sage and rosemary for pork. Bay leaf is useful for making stock and adds beautiful fragrance in stewing meat. French tarragon is excellent for cooking a roast chicken. Chive, flat parsley, basil, dill, oregano are excellent for salad, soup and sauces.
Asian Cooking
Lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, fresh turmeric, ginger and galangal are for a curry paste ingredients.  Basil, mint, parley, coriander and chives are for stir fry, salad, and soups.
Those are only a few examples.   Herbs are essential because they enhance the flavour of the dish.

In Spring to Summer, fresh herbs in my garden are at their best.  I dry some of them to have a supply for Winter.  The way I do it is so simple, but I do it in a small quantity.   I picked the very healthy and fresh herbs, then I wrap up in a clean paper.  I keep them in a refrigerator, undisturbed until the herbs are dry.  When they are ready, I crush the herbs and place them in clean jars.

Drying Herbs Susy's Way


Using dry herbs in cooking
Use the herbs sparingly, because dried herbs have a stronger flavour than the fresh ones.

Be busy, gather your fresh herbs and get organised to dry them up for future needs.

I am pleased I did the Show and Tell yesterday, but you are not ready to play the guessing game, so far there is not any response about the 'what is it',  regardless! -  that was fun to do for me.

Until Next Post
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment