Friday 10 June 2011

Y a c o n - C a b b a g e




Yacon Salad    and    Cabbage  Salad


Today is cold at my place where I live, it is in Victoria,  Australia.  However, I am preparing two salads; a salad of yacon and cabbage salad.  I thought they are going to be useful to garnish any grilled or fried, fish also meat.

A friend was hopping that I do sauerkraut from the cabbage.  I thought about it, but I had never made the proper sauerkraut before. Instead, I am going to do easy salad from the cabbage.  Thanks, Inga,  but not sauerkraut though, this cabbage salad is good too.
 
This cabbage salad brought back a good memory for me becaus, in 1974, family friends took us for a picnic in the Grampians National Park Vic,  and Cathy prepared this salad to go with the BBQ.  It was so refreshing to eat with the fatty sausages and the BBQ lamb chops.

The yacon is from the garden that I harvested sometime last week. I suppose it is hard to try the recipe if you don't have the yacon ready at hand.  I am not too sure if markets supply the fresh yacon.  However, the dressing can be used for other salads, such as fennel or radishes.

The Recipes To Share.

Y a c o n - The  Yacon  Salad

Crisps Yacon Salad
the ingredienst for
the salad dressing
the salad dressing of
the yacon salad












Yacon Salad
2 cups fresh yacon, cut Julianne
1cup iceberg lettuce, shredded
1 apple sliced thinly

The dressing
1 tablespoon cream
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Mix all ingredients thoroughly


Preparation of the yacon: place the Julianne of Yacon on to a bowl of water mix with some lemon juice to avoid oxidation.  Strain the water, then it's ready to mix with other salad components.
It is better to prepare Yacon Salad in the day that you wish to serve. 

C a b b a g e  -  The  Cabbage  Salad

Cabbage  Salad


the ingredients of the salad dressing
of cabbage salad
the salad dressing












Cabbage Salad
3 cups shredded cabbage
some spring onion and parsley, chopped finely

The dressing
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon English mustard
Juice of a half lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all together thoroughly

The cabbage salad can be refrigerated for a couple of days, take it out to room temperature before serving. 

Until next time.
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment