Thursday 23 June 2011

R o a s t i n g

Mini   Roast

I like to share this experience with cooking for two.  I have not been cooking a roast dinner for a while, and I do miss it.  A roast for two, why not!!  Mini roast cut, about 775 g which I have just purchased, is a lot of meat for two.  But the point is roasting a small joint is not that easy.  However, I went ahead to do it.

It started very well; I sealed the meat then  I pot roasted, so I added some stock to get it going.  I thought 25 to 35 minutes should be long enough, to roast the meat.  I prepared simple garnishes, diced potatoes and sweet potatoes.   The whole dish looked delicious until I carved the roast meat.  Yes, it's a bit hard but not tight.  It's eatable. The potatoes cooked but not the way I like it, they looked beautiful though.

I think the meat was overcooked for 10 minutes.  It should be roasted for 25 minutes and resting for 10 minutes. The whole process of cooking, including the garnishes, should be only 35 minutes.

Mini Roast
Roast Pork is Garnished
with
Diced Potatoes and Sweet Potatoes
  




Points To Remember to Roast Small Cuts

  1. Seal the meat all over-properly over hot heat for 9 to 10 minutes
  2. Lower the heat and cook further, cover the skillet/cooking utensil for 12-15 minutes
  3. Rest the meat for a third of the cooking time at least (8-10 minutes)
Garnishes:
While roasting the meat cook and prepare garnishes.  Get old potatoes for roasting.



The    Result
  1. The roast meat is carved more natural and more beautiful.
  2. The meat is slightly pink in colour but cooked.
  3. The texture should be soft and juicy.
You have an excellent and enjoyable roast dinner, and you want MORE!


C  o  o  k  i  n  g      P  r  o  c  e  s  s


Sealing the meat, all over for 9 minutes
That was the mistake

Sealing the meat should be only 6 minutes.


Add in broth and cooking for 11 minutes
Add stock, cover the skillet
cook for 10 minutes



Diced Potatoes - Young Potatoes

A Big Mistake

It is not for Roasting.
The last Ten minutes Cooking

Meat should be Resting.
Cooking the Potatoes with the Meat
For the last 10 minutes Cooking
The Meat is Cooked to Long



No comments:

Post a Comment