Sunday 8 July 2012

Winter In Peking (Continued)

Cooking Crispy Aromatic Duck

I feel very comfortable to follow the recipe, it is obvious, and it is not very hard.  All the ingredients are there, readily available here in Australia.

Crispy Aromatic Duck
sliced tender duck meat and the crispy skin

A two-kilo grams duckling was for the crispy aromatic duck, the meat was tender, and the skin was crispy.  I cooked the dish with enthusiasm and was confident that it's going to work correctly.


The quantities of the herb soy sauce
900 ml of water
1 teacup soya sauce
2 cloves garlic
2 slices root ginger
1 anise star
1 large onion(sliced)
bouquet garni


My interpretation, preparation, and cooking the aromatic crispy duck is based on the recipe of Kenneth Lo.
Preparation  -  Cooking
the ingredients of herbs and soya

cook the soya herb sauce to the boil ( without bouquet garni)

hot boiling soya herb sauce

braising the duck in hot herb soya sauce for
30 minutes

turn the duck at the last 16 minutes of cooking

Take the duck out of the cooking sauce to drain,  dry entirely before
frying in hot oil.
At this stage, I kept the duck in the refrigerator overnight, as the duck is going to be served on the following day.

Before serving, take the duck out from the refrigerator, fry in a wok in hot oil.  I was not happy to fry my duck in the kitchen, so I did it in a wok over the BBQ outside.  It was a good idea, the smell was outside in fresh air.


The Frying of The  Aromatic Crispy Duck
A freshly fried crispy aromatic duck



To serve the Duck
This is my way of serving, as I have no appropriate Chinese wares-plates to Serve
Loosen up the skin
slicing the meat
the meat and the crispy skin


The duck meat and skin should be eaten with steamed buns in sandwich fashion, together with
the cucumber and spring onion, and I added some sauce onto it. It was delicious.  
The duck could also be served on its own.
duck leg with crispy skin served with plum sauce

the duck served with rice, hot chilli sauce and the crispy skin


Garnishes:  get the sauces ready, plum sauce, sweet soy sauce, chilli sauce, thinly sliced spring onion and cucumber.  It's served with steamed buns which are prepared before, heat them up to have soft and hot buns.

I had fresh leafy green on the table, for anyone to have, it is refreshing after eating a sumptuous meal.

It was a good experience for me; however I prefer to cook a part of duck meat instead of the whole duck.  The duck breast may suit me better to cook because it is quicker and more comfortable.

I wish you all the very best to try the recipe.  I am glad that I did it, and I tried my best to follow the steps religiously.  However I did the last steps my way: after simmering the duck in the herbs sauce to cook until tender then drain to dry, I kept it in the refrigerator for the next day to fry instead of to fry straight away before serving.
Luckily it worked well as the next day is the day to serve the dish to family and friends.

Now you can plan a dinner party and cooking the dish with a relaxed preparation, I know it takes a few days, but it is excellent, you don't have a lot of mess in one day.



 Have fun and happy cooking, and thank you all for visiting my blog.

Until Next Post
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment