Sunday 29 July 2012

Plants and Flowers


Indoor Plants and Flowers

I have been enjoying gardening since the seventies.  Now I have more time to garden as the children have grown up and left home.  I had a small vegetable patch, perennial shrubs with different foliage, and rose bushes, but I never had succeeded to plant annual flowers, not even nowadays.
My garden now is basically a common sense garden, all the plants are easy to care for, and the flowering plants are perennials, such as roses, camellias and hydrangeas.  The Japanese maples give colours in Autumn to spring, the crab apples and cherry tree give us beautiful blossom every spring, and the conifers stay green that keep the garden alive in winter. 

Outdoor gardening is therapeutic, the fresh air and the warm sun and the rains, we all cannot do without them.  How about indoors gardening?  I am not sure about that, but I do have some indoor plants.  Plants bring warmth and peace in the house, after all, they are natural, I do have a few.  Gardening is a joy, and gardening the year-round indoors, looking after the plant is a great pastime.

Indoor - Plants

It is vital for putting the plants in a position that is suitable for their needs.
The palm and ferns like a light, indirect sunlight.


Orchids
Are they indoor plants? Some orchids are living well inside the house.  Most orchids growers have their orchid growing in a particular house, it is costly to set up.  I have a collection of orchids, Cymbidium and Australian native, but I am happy enough to have them outside. They are sitting under the Eaves.  So far they have survived well, but they don't give me flowers regularly.  However I am lucky that this year I have some flowers that I could put in the house, and they brighten up the rooms, they are beautiful flowering Cymbidium orchids.

I bring the orchids in the house when the buds are almost open.
These orchids have been in this room for ten days, now the buds
are opening, and soon will be in full bloom.

Green Kimberley Cymbidium is budding
Today it sits inside the house.  I hope in ten days
the buds will open beautifully.  It was an accident that 
I broke about four buds.


The Fern and the Palm are Happy and Growing well.


Lasting Flowering Orchid
The pink Cymbidium orchid has been flowering inside
the house for more than a month.



Propagating Orchids
I am trying to propagate orchids.  The crucifix orchid which I attempted to plant
from cutting a few months ago are growing well, they sit on top of a cupboard.
I do hope they will be flowering too.


Close Up Cymbidium Flowers 


Anthurium Andreanum
The red Anthurium is budding, and The white Anthurium is in full bloom


There will be one more Cymbidium orchid to flower, at the moment the buds are only small. It is not ready to put inside the house yet.  I am so pleased that this Cymbidium orchid has six spikes.  It will be spectacular when they are in full bloom.  Once I got twelve spikes in a pot, but it never comes back, it is alive and well though.  My orchids don't flower regularly,  maybe they need resting.

If you don't have indoor plants, and you want to try, you can start with the natural growing plants such as ferns, palms.  Cyclamens are suitable for house flowering plant, however, occasionally you may have to take them out for fresh air.
Looking after indoor plants is the same as looking after outdoor plants when you buy indoor plants from the nursery,  they should give you advice on how to look after them. Most plants are labelled with information about how to grow and to care for.  
It is imperative to have the information handy for you that you can refer to at any time, either 'Google' it or read a relevant gardening book.

I keep you all informed about my indoor plants and flowers,  until next time.  I hope you have been enjoying the weekend.

Happy Monday to You All.  



Thanks For Visiting My Blog
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment