Saturday 28 July 2012

Lemons and Limes (Continued)


Preserved Limes

Preserving Limes
My limes have been too long on the tree, the colour turned to yellowish, but the flesh still stays green.  I have been using them for cooking, for salad dressing and add to my hot black tea.   Now for the first time, I am preserving the limes.  It is the same method as preserving lemons.

I have a jar, which has a very narrow mouth, so I have to choose small limes.
Sea salt mixed with water to make the brine solution, and lime juice is ready.
Six limes, coriander seeds, more sea salt and also a baking paper that I need are there.  I got everything, I have to wash the limes and to dry them properly.
I am ready to do the preserving, and this time, I make only a jar.

Step By Step What to Do
Brine solution: 1 tablespoon salt and 500 ml hot water

The limes are yellow, but the flesh is green.
Small limes are what I need, and I have more than enough.

Cut length ways into quarters from the point of the lime
to three-quarters of the way down, but leave them 
joined together at the base.

Fill the limes with sea salt.

Place them in the jar, push and press them down, add some more
salt on each layer and coriander seeds.

Fill the jar with brine and lime solution up to the top
Pour in the water solution which has been added with lime
Juice, and fill up to the top.  Make sure that all limes are
covered with the water mixture/solution
Place baking paper on top, before closing the jar

Put the lid on tightly and correctly.

Label and date.  Keep refrigerated, the preserved limes are ready
to use, in two weeks.
Keep them submerged in the brine solution at all times.




 LEMONS

Preserving Lemons uses the same method as preserving limes.  I put bay leaves instead of coriander seeds.  Sometimes I add cinnamon stick, however when the preserved lemons are matured the colour is slightly changed into brownish.


Preserved Lemons 
These are ready to use in two weeks and will keep in an airtight screw-top jar in the refrigerator for 2-4 months.  Keep them submerged in the brine solution at all times.
You need 3-4 lemons
Approximately 4 tablespoons salt (I use sea salt)
Brine solutions made from dissolving 1 rounded tablespoon salt in 500 ml cups hot water.
Cut the lemon into quarters and rub a level teaspoon of salt all over each piece.  Pack these pieces very tightly in a clean jam jar.  (this method, is more comfortable than cutting each lemon in quarter lengthways).
Make the brine solution and cool it.  Pour over to the lemons making sure they are fully submerged.  A piece of crumpled baking or greased proof paper can be pushed down on top of them.  Screw on a lid and store in the refrigerator.
Preserved Lemons are Ready To Store



I cook chicken, fish, couscous with preserved lemons, it has a distinctive flavour.  You cannot replace preserved lemons just with fresh lemons.

Next time I will share recipes on how to use preserved limes and lemons, in the meantime I wish you all to have fun to do preserved lemons.



Enjoy the weekend, and thanks for stopping by
Until Next Post
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment