Friday 27 July 2012

Lemons and Limes

Lisbon Lemons
Two most useful fruits from the citrus family are lemon and lime.
I use lemon for cooking, baking, and I use the lemon juice for salad dressing, adding to drink mixtures, and for making cordial.  It is suitable for a freshener, added to water for washing the dishes etc.
It can be preserved that make a distinctive flavour, for cooking Moroccan food.  I have been making preserved lemons for my cooking,  and I will show you how to do it.

I harvested my lemons from my garden, it is a young tree, in fact, it was my first harvest; however I have more than twenty lemons.  I will preserve some of them and the rest I will keep for other uses.
Harvesting Lemons 
Lemons Harvest


Preserve lemons is very expensive to buy, and yet it is straightforward to make at home.  What you need are fresh lemons, salt,  and jars to keep them.

This recipe is from the Le Creuset, a guidebook for using Tajine and recipes. 
Preserved Lemons
These are ready to use in two weeks and will keep in an Airtight screw-top jar in the refrigerator for 2-3 months.  Keep them submerged in the brine solution at All times.
3-4 firm lemons
Approximately 4 tablespoons salt
Brine solutions made from dissolving 1 rounded tablespoon salt in 500ml cups hot water.
Cut the lemons into quarters and rub a level teaspoon of salt all over each piece.  Pack these pieces very tightly in a clean jam jar.
Make the brine solution and cool it.  Pour over the lemons making sure they are fully submerged. A piece of crumpled baking or greased proof paper can be pushed down on top of them.  Screw on a lid and store in the refrigerator.

Limes.

It is used for cooking, baking cakes, added to drinks-tea, or in cocktail mixtures. It is excellent and is used a lot for South East Asian cuisine.
Limes can be preserved as lemons, and it is useful for Middle Eastern and Moroccan cooking.  The rinds are excellent for flavouring cakes, garnishes and to add onto salad dressing.



Next time I will show you how to do preserved lemons, recipes about using lemons and limes are coming soon.  Stay Tuned.



Until Next Time
Thanks For Visiting My Blog
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment