Sunday 2 December 2012

Summer


Cooking For Summer.
BBQ, salad dishes are trendy during summer time.  In my kitchen summer cooking is quick and easy, but the hot soup is there occasionally such as meatballs in clear broth (baso) or vegetable soup.
This summer, I will do more fun cooking, and I hope I could share the recipes.  I am not too sure if you try my cuisine at your home, but people do open and visit my blog, at least to look and maybe to read it.

Today was overcast in my town, but a hot meal or cold food is welcome.  I had a plan to cook a dish which can be served hot or cold.
It is stuffed cabbage served with a salad, delicious to serve hot, cold and room temperature.
Cabbage is in season now, Savoy cabbage is the perfect cabbage for the recipe, but other kinds of cabbage are alright.


Susy's Stuffed Cabbage

6 pieces of cabbage leaves
Stuffing:
450 glean mince meat (beef or chicken)
1 egg
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 potato, peeled and grated
2 tablespoons chopped onions and leeks
Salt and pepper to taste
(Mix all together until combined)
To Stuff the cabbage
Place the leaves overlapping as you found them from the whole cabbage

Stuff in every leaves, and put stuffing to the very last layer too, bring them in together to get the shape as a whole cabbage, tighten it with cooking cotton twine.   Wrap in a baking paper adds fresh bay leaves then wrap it again in foil three times.

To cook
Place the wrapped stuffed cabbage in a pot, put hot water more than half way, and add extra bay leaves and leeks, then cook it to boil for 25 minutes, continue cooking over a lower heat for 45 minutes. (check the water, you may have to replenish some)
Leave it to cool in the pot, then take it out to drain before serving.
It is delicious to serve room temperature with yoghurt
In winter time you could cook this dish and serve it hot and garnished with spicy potatoes.


Summer In My Backyard
My strawberry plants which are guarded by Mr Wise Owl are doing so well, they have a lot of berries, and some of them are ripening.  I was looking forward to harvesting the red berries this morning, but the blackbird (my regular visitor) got them first.  He did not eat only one or two, but he pecked all the red ones.  I am annoyed by it, I remember what my daughter Susan said to me:  You have to share . . .  She is right.  The Wise Owl did not do a good job, I think.

  I wish I could harvest some, but I don't have a chance, the blackbird is there before me every morning.  There are red berries at the potted plant as well, lucky enough that he did not see that some of the red berries are hanging on the planter,  ready to harvest.  I had them instead.


My red roses have flowers for the second round. Usually, they are not as large as the first ones, but they are looking healthy.  More fresh cut flowers for the house.



Vegetables: I planted two zucchini seedlings and one cucumber crystal apple in my garden, I will try my best to care for them, they will grow well, and I am sure that they are giving me a good harvest.



Happy Cooking and Happy Gardening to You.

Until Next Post
Thank You For Stopping By
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment