Tuesday 11 December 2012

A Big Day


A Big Day For The Potted Bay
Today is a sunny day, there is no wind and no rain, it is a beautiful day to be outside.  I decided to work in the garden and repotted my bay tree.  It has been in the pot for more than three years since I did it three times. A few unpleasant symptoms of the tree that made me do it again.
The leaves are healthy enough, a few young leaves are springing,  but at the same time some of the leaves are yellowish.  No matter what I did, such as giving fertiliser, extra watering, and so on, is still has yellow leaves,  as a  matter of fact, it becomes worse.  It is time to repot the tree.

Preparation For Repotting Bay Tree
Root Bound

It was hard going, I thought that I could not get the tree out of the pot. It was root bound.  I understood now why the tree quickly had yellow leaves.

Repotting - Replanting

I trimmed some of the roots, put the tree on a new larger pot with fresh soil, blood and bones, garden lime and plant starter that make the roots less stress from replanting.  I am hoping that the bay tree is going to live, I know that it will have a growing setback.

A large Plastic Pot for The Bay Tree

I replanted the bay tree in a large plastic pot; hopefully, it is going to be easier next time when I need to repot.  I also planted a dwarf spreading rosemary on it, I think it will look beautiful with the purple rosemary flowers, especially when it has established.    

The newly potted bay tree with rosemary underneath.

Now the potted bay tree is sitting with other potted plants, in a cooler place until it settles back, then may be I could put it somewhere else.

I am so pleased that it has been done, it was a bit daunting to start as it is a large tree.  But I did it.
Another work has to be done, as gardening is never finished.

Rayner was busy mending his lawn (grass) and also mowing. It has been a productive day in the garden for us.

It was not only a big day for the potted bay, but it was a big day for me too.

I believe that this beautiful tall standard bay tree and the cascading rosemary underneath are going to be the admiration of herb lovers.  The flowers of the bay and rosemary have a lovely fragrance, beautiful scents.  I am very fortunate that I could smell the aroma from my kitchen window.
I am looking forward to when they are in bloom.

I am hoping another good sunny day, and I will be busy again in the garden.  Until Next Post





Thank You For Visiting My Blog
Enjoy
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment