Saturday 10 November 2012

Mushrooms

My family loves mushrooms, I often cook mushroom dishes for them, and I always get mushrooms that I am familiar with.  We ought to be careful with mushrooms, especially the ones that grow wild in the field or in the wood.
I buy fresh mushrooms from the market or supermarket.  Mushrooms are delicacies, but lucky enough that we can get them almost throughout the year.  Most fungi are cultivated, and they are safe enough to eat.

Mushrooms that I love to cook are field mushrooms, brown and flat mushrooms, and portobello.  They are very versatile to cook and also very nutritious.
Variety dishes using mushrooms:  I use them for stuffing meat rolls, stir fry with mixed vegetables, pizza topping, and sauce. It is excellent to add to a beef ragu or chicken stews. Sauté them to garnish meat dishes also you can slice raw mushrooms,  add them into a mixed salad. Mediterranean people preserve the mushrooms by pickling them, and they are so delicious for antipasto.
I use them for duxelle; it is a preparation of mushrooms to be used for lining meat when you cook beef Wellington and so forth. I need a lot of mushrooms for the duxelles, so I do this when mushrooms are in season,  I could get them at their best and inexpensive.


Mushrooms For My Cooking
Cup Mushrooms

Swiss Brown Mushroom


Purchasing Mushrooms
Put the mushrooms in a paper bag and choose a whole large or small size but firm to touch.  If you buy the already sliced, keep the mushrooms in the refrigerator and cook it with in two days.


Today's Cooking 
From the sliced mushrooms that I bought,  I sautéed them in oil, added in salt, lemon zest and some juice of a lemon.  It's a very simple cooking, it took only a few minutes to cook.  I used the sautéed mushroom to garnish my pumpkin and spinach slice.  It worked very well together, the dish looks pretty and appetising but most of all, it was delicious.

Herbs that go very well with mushrooms are flat parsley and lemon thyme.  Lemon juice is added at the end of cooking to enhance the flavour.


Dinner is Served
 Layer pumpkin and spinach slice served on a bed of sautéed mushrooms



Mushrooms are not in season now, but the cultivated mushrooms are available throughout the year in the market or supermarket.  If you love them, and you wish to get some, you have no problem finding them.  Happy cooking!




Until Next Post
Thanks For Stopping By
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment