Wednesday 23 May 2012

JAP - Pumpkin (Continued)


Preparation For Pumpkin Dishes

I am going to try to cook the fresh pumpkin that I harvested last Sunday.  I was told that pumpkins have to be kept outside under the sun for a few weeks,  that way they will stay for a long time in storage.  It could continue for months.

The pumpkin sounds hollow when it is tapped, the skin is hard what do they mean?  I am not sure, but I will find out when I cut it.  It won't' be easy to cut through. It is fresh, is high in vitamin, very nutritious and versatile to cook, I am sure there are going to be exciting dishes coming.

It was not easy to cut, I think it looks good and easy to peel.  About one-kilogram also is grated, for the base of my cooking.



Peeling, slicing, grating and keeping the rest of the whole pumpkin refrigerated.
Cover the top with kitchen paper, then wrap it up with a plastic glad wrap


I was curious about the pumpkin seeds, I trim it
and I could see that the seeds are edible, 
the inside of the pumpkin is healthy



Place about 875 g grated pumpkin on a casserole dish, drizzle with three tablespoonfuls of oil, mix together.  Cover the bowl, bake in a preheated hot oven at 200 degrees C for 11 minutes.
The soft and cooked grated pumpkin is going to be another dishes next time.  Now I have a right amount of pumpkin for mini pumpkin bread loaves, pumpkin leaf rolls, and pumpkin ravioli etc.

Refrigerate the cooked, baked pumpkins when it is cold, 
it keeps for a few days.


It took me the most morning to do this preparation of pumpkin; however I am happy to find out that the pumpkin is good, and it's ready to pick.  Maybe the taste won't be as good as the one that is already kept for a few months in storage. But I don't mind at all,  I could play with flavours, the freshly picked pumpkin is appealing to me.

I could not help it, after a long hard work for this pumpkin preparation I must taste some of it before I  refrigerated.  I baked a pumpkin pie and a pumpkin purse today for us two.  It's delish!
Baked pumpkin pies in Susy's water pastry

Pumpkin Purse is Served

Busy and interesting morning.  I am going to try to get the most of the pumpkin, how many dishes could I cook? That is a challenge.
I must learn more about pumpkins, how to care about the harvest, and how good it is for our diets, and the nutrition value.

Pumpkin has high antioxidants, as most of us know by now due to increased awareness of the importance of healthy living. Antioxidants help strengthen our immune system. The colour tells me that it has high beta-carotene.  Beta-carotene converts to Vitamin A and helps reduce the risk of cancer and other dangerous diseases.  That's what I learnt so far.


Stay Tuned
Thanks For Stopping By

Until Next Post
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment