Friday 11 May 2012

Gleaning

The Gleaners

While I was in the garden yesterday, looking around what there was in my vegetable patch.  My mind was wandering about the story of the gleaners after the big harvest as I saw three red tomatoes hanging on a dried stem of its plant.  The self-sown yellow tomato which is still alive but looking so empty and shabby after the last harvest,  a few ripe tomatoes are left.  I could not help it to take my little basket out from my kitchen, then I started to glean.  I felt so right, though, to me, whatever is left in the garden which can be consumed, we should not waste.  I did have a basket full of yellow tomatoes at first and went back for more.

No, I did not glean the fruits of the apple tree.  These three apples are the only harvest for this year.  I shall keep them properly, and in a few weeks they can be eaten, I think the taste is going to be
much better.








Three apples are the total harvest for this year.  Last year we had a lot more, maybe next year it will be better.

Gleaning the fresh tomatoes was so right.
Three apples, the pink lady from the back yard



I remember vividly there was a program on the television a few years ago about the Gleaners, I wish  I could see it again,  The gleaners were everywhere, in orchards, not just gleaning wheat after the harvest.  Are there rules for the gleaners,  Is it free to gather in someone's field?  I have questions, reading and more research have to be done.

I closed off this topic with the famous painter of the Gleaner by Jean-Francois Millet.  Read more about the controversy of this painting in the Wikipedia if you wish.
Artist: Jean-Francois Millet, 1857, Oil on canvas
The Gleaners (Des glaneuses) is an oil painting by Jean-Francois Millet completed in 1857. It depicts three peasant women gleaning a field of stray grains of wheat after the harvest. The painting is famous for featuring sympathetically what were then the lowest ranks of rural society; this was received poorly by the French upper classes.

Location:  Musée d'Orsay, Paris (Wiki)





 From the gleaning of the vegetable patch, we have a delicious golden nugget yellow tomato salad.

Yellow tomato Salad-The Golden Nuggets

 

The Recipe

Yellow Tomato Salad -The Golden Nuggets

1 cups fresh yellow tomatoes
1 red onion, sliced, pan fried
The dressing:
1 teaspoon grain mustard
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon lime or lemon juice
(mix all ingredients together well)

To serve:
Add in half of the dressing to the fresh tomato, toss them together
The other half of the dressing add into the red onion, toss/mix, transfer to the serving plate
Place the dressed yellow tomatoes on the bed of trimmed red onion
This salad is excellent garnished for grilled or fried fish, chicken and meat dishes.

Note: use red cherry tomato if you wish, mix with baby spinach, it is a good salad too.



Yes, I am a gleaner, I do it in my own backyard while tidying up the garden and space the gleaning often takes place. 



Have A Good Weekend

Thank You For Visiting My Blog



Until Next Post
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment