Thursday 10 May 2012

The Harvest


Fresh Produce - The Pantry To The Kitchen

The beautiful bounty of the harvest, from my own garden, the backyard and extra work in the kitchen are really delightful.  Rayner's Kalamata olives were plenty enough to preserve, last year we had a good harvest. Keeping the Kalamata olive was great, it was my second experience.  And the preserved olives are matured and ready to be eaten. What I do, every time I need them, I take some out from the preserving jar then dress them up to serve.

A very satisfying dish that I did was the generous salad using all my preserves of the harvested and any fresh vegetables and herbs from the garden.  It's my Mountain Salad the Bounty of Harvest

The Mountain Salad-The Bounty or Harvest 

Preserved Olive and Red Capsicum in oil 








Visiting farmers market is another good thing, fresh produce is so new; however the local market is good too,  I got some red capsicums, then I preserved them in oil, they are perfect for mixed salads.




Oranges are other things that can be preserved, eat the flesh/oranges, keep the peels for preserving.  Preserved in syrup is delicious for cake topping and added to the cake mixture.

 Orange Peels In Syrup
I call them the Jewell
I am looking forward to using these orange peels for my baking. 

To be creative in the kitchen.
Fresh meat in the refrigerator is ready for anything that you wish to cook.  Be creative, instead of cooking the meat for ordinary dishes, do interesting ones.  What I did with the humble fresh mince was to create a delicious and flavoursome meatloaf.  Susy meat loaf country style.

Here it was the sample for a combination of harvests, the mountain bounty harvest salad.  Serving all the beautifully preserved, fresh lettuce and the cooking into one generous dish.

 Bounty of the Harvest

preserve olives, red capsicum,
meatloaf and sheared fresh steak with all salad greens



Sheared rump steak, is one of the components of the Mountain salad.


Homemade meatloaf, mousse with chicken liver and herbs. It is one of the components of the Mountain salad as well.
The meatloaf keeps for days refrigerated, the taste is intensified the longer it is kept.
 ******

The Tasting
The flavours work together, the dish was tasty.

I am pleased and proud that  I was able to present the harvest from our home and garden. It's an exciting and inexpensive dish.


The winter is coming, gardening is very restricted due to the coldness, but springtime is the time to plant fresh vegetables on the patch.  Capsicums, chillies, eggplants are excellent to preserve.  Those vegetables have to be planted soon when the time comes, but winter lettuce has to be here as salads are essential for our diet. 

Just as well, I preserved the olive last year because this year there are not many on the tree. No chances for harvest.

So far the garden, the pantry and the kitchen keep the family and me busy, we all work together well.

Thank You For Visiting My Blog

Until Next Post
Susy






No comments:

Post a Comment