Tuesday 27 December 2011

In The Kitchen

The end of the year is the time to clean up, from the pantry to the kitchen.

Herbs   -    Spices
The pantry needs to be organised, especially the herbs and spices, they can be kept only so long, depending on the shelf life expectancy.  How do I know that I can keep them longer, particularly the homemade dried herbs?  This is what I do: I smell the herbs, if they don't have enough smell to tell me what they are, then I throw them away.  Dried herbs do smell fresh too.

Dried Herbs and Spices

Kitchen Knives 
People think that sharp knives are dangerous, yes it is true, you have to be careful how to handle them.  But working in the kitchen the sharps knives are essential, you can chop any vegetables or meat safely with a sharp knife than with the blunt one.  Keeping the blades properly is a must, the kitchen knives should have their own place to sleep.  And it is essential to sharp the knives regularly, do it your self or bring the whole set to the Kitchen store to sharpen.  I am very fortunate that Rayner does it for me automatically.

The Knives
Knives Drawers

I don't think it is hard to keep up with the cleaning up of the kitchen, especially I have a small kitchen.  I set it up as a chef's kitchen,  I like to find my cooking tools easily and quickly. The ladles, strainers, skimmers, whisks, cooking forks, cooking spoons, colanders, tongs, turners have to be easily accessible.  However, because they all hang up openly, they get dusty.  They need to be washed from time to time, especially the things that are rarely used but still useful.  Drawers and cupboards are the best places to keep the rest of the kitchen tools.

Kitchen Tools - Kitchen Utensils

To wash the kitchen tools, soak them in hot soapy water or put them in a dishwasher, they wash that way thoroughly. 
The oven is the most significant part, "self-clean oven".  Wow, what a joke.  I think I leave it just here, but I do need to clean it once upon a time.

I admire all working mum with children, and yet they are very disciplined and organised to run the house.  I understood for some people to have a ritual to do thorough cleaning up once a year.  Every day is routine cleaning up that we ought to do.

When things are in order, I feel more relaxed, and work can be done more efficiently.



Until next post
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment