Friday 1 April 2011

From Harvest To Recipes

Today is the first day of April, mid Autumn.  I went around my backyard today, I saw a lot of works a front of me.  It is time to tidy things up around the garden.  I have been enjoying the fresh fruit and vegetables from our garden, in fact, I have managed to share them with friends.  Some of the vegetable plants are still fruiting, eggplants, chillies and zucchini.  I did some refreshing and yummy cooking out of those vegetables.


Open Ricotta Pie with Eggplant Base


Ingredients:
2 large eggplants, sliced lengthwise
Salt and oil

Filling

1 onion, chopped and cooked lightly
275 g ricotta
4 - 5 eggs
Mix fresh herbs; chives, mints, parsley
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt to taste

Method
Sprinkle the sliced eggplant with salt, set aside for 10 minutes at least.
Pan-fry the eggplant:
(wipe off all the moisture from the eggplants before pan frying)

The filling:
Mix all the ingredients together

The pie:
Arrange the eggplants to cover the base of a shallow pie dish; lay them flat and slightly overlapping
Pour in the egg and cheese mixture, level and smooth the top.
Bake the pie in moderately hot oven 175 degrees C for 35 minutes until golden

To Serve:
Sliced in wedges and serve with a salad and bread (crusty, nuts loaf etc.)

I love to serve this pie at room temperature; it cuts better and as lovely.


Enjoy and happy cooking.

Susy


How  To  Do







No comments:

Post a Comment