Wednesday 13 April 2011

Lourdes To Bordeaux



Madeleine


I was travelling with Rayner (my husband) a few years ago, to see some parts of Europe.
I saw places, was able to taste different kinds of food and cooking.  From Lourdes to Bordeaux, we stopped at Air Sur L’Adour.  Walking around the town, I saw a Boulangarie – a bakery shop.  From the window I could see a lot of little beautiful cakes and cookies.  I went in to ask (with difficulties) for the madeleines, I bought some, out of curiosity.  Would they taste the same as the ones that baked at home?  Surprisingly they did, the same indeed!  I was so pleased.  I baked a few times of these pretty madeleines.  There are a lot of the recipes around; Stephanie Alexander has one, also Jacques Pépin.
Recipe to share: Commercy Madeleine (New Larousse Gastronomique)


Freshly Baked Madeleines

The madeleine's mixture

Buttered and floured the madeleines tin

Madeleines off the tin and dusted with icing sugar



Commercy Madeleine-Madeleine De Commercy


Ingredients:

165 g plain four
165 g castor sugar
3 eggs
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1teaspoon-grated rind of lemon
A pinch of salt
75 g melted butter

Method:
Work and mix together in a bowl, flour, and sugar, eggs, soda, salt and lemon rind.
When these mixture is very smooth, add to it the 75g melted butter, mix well.
Put in floured and buttered Madeline moulds, about two third full. 
Bake in 150 degree C for 20 minutes until light golden.

To serve:  Serve with coffee


Happy baking
Susy


No comments:

Post a Comment