Sunday 10 April 2011

R e m i n i s c e n c e

 Sweet   Sunday

Thinking and looking back on my children when they were little is very therapeutic, I miss them less.  They were adorable, easy to look after, yet they gave us so much happiness.  Now they have grown to be very responsible ladies, and I am very proud of them.  

I had an amusing story about my second daughter Jane when she was little, she loved cakes and sweets.  Once upon a time, we were at a shopping centre, Jane asked me for a dim sim, I was so surprised as we very seldom had that food.  She was only 5 years old then. She was distraught and cried, insisted that she wanted the dim sim.  I want a dim sim; I want a dim sim, mummy!  Then she pointed to the food in the shop’s display, they were iced doughnuts, very colourful, sprinkled with a hundred thousand. Well, I understood straight away:  of course, you wanted a doughnut, not a dim sim; you have a sweet tooth. It was so funny; we laughed and laughed.  Doughnut !!!!! Not   Dim Sim!!!  She had a doughnut with pink icing, and she enjoyed it so much. Now, I don’t think she has them often; she would have preferred cakes or gateau.

I do cook doughnuts, for my family too enjoy but they are a different kind of doughnuts.  These doughnuts are based on Greek cooking; the Greek doughnut – Loukoumades. Thank you, Sophie, for teaching me to cook this delicious treat.  Loukoumades is one of my family's favourites.
I cook steamed dim sim too,  but they are very much my style, PP-Poached Pangsit.
Thinking of my girls today, I cooked the Loukoumades and also Pink-Doughnuts. Sweet Sunday indeed.!

Recipe to share is Greek Doughnuts: Loukoumades.



Doughnuts!     Not     Dim Sim! 

Steamed Dim Sim - Poached Pangsit

Greek Doughnuts - Loukoumades
Fresh Fig from Our Garden

Loukoumades

Ingredients:
125 g plain flour
125 mil warm water
1/3 cup honey or more
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
Oil for deep-frying
Fresh fruit to garnish

Method
Put the plain flour in a bowl, stir in the warm water and mix.
Mix and stir to make a smooth batter 
Let it rest for 10 minutes
Frying the doughnuts:
In a deep fryer, heat the oil until hot
When it is warm enough, put a little spoon of the batter 'drop' into the oil, four balls at a time,
depending on the size of your fryer.
The loukoumades will puff up and rise to the top of the oil very quickly
Turn them over, cook until golden colour, take them out with a slotted spoon
Repeat the process until the batter is finished

To serve
Place the loukoumades in a serving plate,
drizzle generously with honey dust with cinnamon powder and
garnished with fresh fruits.




Enjoy and Happy Cooking.

Susy

2 comments:

  1. Yum, mum! I reckon I was younger than five, because we were going around during a week day, if I remember correctly. And ... well, if the opportunity arises, I'll eat a strawberry iced donut any day, but they don't really have them the way I remember over here. I'm sooooo glad you posted the Greek donut recipe. I made baklava last week (Wednesday is baking day). Guess what I'll be whipping up in a couple of days? Edwin will be thrilled! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good!
    Food is good for you.

    ReplyDelete