Thursday 14 April 2011

Cymbidium To Cattleya

Flowers for the house, flowers for the dinning room, flowers for the kitchen, fresh flowers are so important for me.  When the children were young, they gave me a lot of fresh flowers or flowering plants for presents.  Orchids are one of them.  However I could not look after them well, so I decided to give them away to a good home.
I enjoy gardening and looking after plants now; I have a small vegetables patch, potted herbs that I enjoy picking up daily for my cooking, I also have colourful roses, beautiful hydrangeas and collections of orchids.  I have managed to repot and propagate the Cattleya, so I am very pleased about it.  Unfortunately for the Cymbidiums, I am not that lucky.  Since last year, I did not have any flowers, and this month of April the orchids have not any spikes yet.  I think it’s a little too late.  I look around and check all the orchid plants, they are healthy enough, the leaves are green, but not spiking.  I have been trying my very best looking after the orchids, but it seems I won’t be having any flowers this year.  A few years ago I got myself a large flowering orchid for a treat from the orchid show.    It was so large and beautiful.  There was a problem though; our car was too small to transport the orchid.  However I was so fortunate that the gentleman from the orchid’s association; offered me the help.  He said he’s happy to deliver the orchid.  There he was in a late afternoon, delivering this gorgeous orchid while I was doing some baking.   I had some scones for him, to say thanks and he did not mind at all.   I am sure Mr Bob and his wife enjoyed it.  Recipe to share is the date scones.


My large White Beautiful Cymbidium Orchid
2007

 
Date Scones Freshly Baked

 
Buttered Date Scones



 The Recipe:

Date Scone


Ingredients:
2 cups self-rising flour
55g butter
¾ - 1 cup milk
¼teaspoon salt
1tablespoon sour cream
85g dates, chopped
1tablespoon fine raw sugar


Method

Sift flour and salt and lightly rub in the butter
Add in the milk, sour cream and the chopped dates; mix together well and quickly
Knead it lightly, roll the dough to 2 cm thickness and cut into 8 or 12
Bake in preheated hot oven at 200 degree C for 16 minutes until golden

To serve:  Cut a scone into two, buttered served with tea or coffee.


Happy baking and enjoy
Susy



Photos Gallery of My Orchids Collection

Cymbidium

Cymbidium

Cymbidium

Cymbidium

Cymbidium

Cattleya


No comments:

Post a Comment