Thursday 21 April 2011

The Red Ruby Colour


Quinces

Quinces to poach, to braise, and pot-roasted, I do that every year, when they are in season, It is almost a ritual for me.  However I have missed a few occasions because quinces are not readily available in the shop, and my friends who live on a farm forgot to share their quinces with me.  This year I am so lucky that a young friend of mine; gave me a surprise. On a morning Rayner-my husband found this whole bag full of quinces at the front door.  Thanks, Nicole!  Today I decided to cook five of the quinces.  I am amazed by this fruit.  Such a humble looking fruit, from the colour of yellowish green, when they are raw, can change to become vibrant red colour after a few hours of cooking.  It took me five hours to cook to get the deep vibrant red ruby colour.  It is worth it.

Fresh Quinces

The First Stage of Cooking the Quinces

Second Stage of Cooking - Orange colour

Third Stage of Cooking - Reddish Colour

Fourth Stage of Cooking- Rich Ruby Colour


Very Rich Red Ruby Colour
Absolutely Gorgeous





4 comments:

  1. Hi Mum,
    I tried to edit my last comment, did that comment still come up? Somehow it came up as Lance's name...I tried to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope this post works! The quinces look beautiful mum. Good idea to photograph them from the first stage to the last stage, so we can see the colour changing. They look delicious, will we eat some at Easter?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colours are gantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lance name come up from your first comment.

    ReplyDelete