Monday 11 April 2011

Vegetarian And Vegetables

I cook vegetarian food, and loving it.  I get sick of eating to much meat.  I noticed if I eat too much meat, protein, fat and salt I get tired easily, very lethargic.  I have changed a lot about my cooking styles.  I use lean meat, eating more fresh fruits and vegetables.  Butter and biscuits are only for a treat.  Vegetables oil and olive oil are always in my pantry, and I have also abundant of fresh vegetables from my garden.  I am glad that my children love vegetarian food too.  I cooked for my family recently,  a couple of  vegetarian dishes; Stuffed Large Mushrooms, Braised stufed witlof and we enjoyed thoroughly.   
Recipe to share:  the braised witlof.

Stuffed Large Mushroom

Braised Open Stuffed Witlof with Potato and Cheese

Fresh Vegetables from Our Garden



Braised Open Stuffed witlof with Potato and Cheese


Ingredient:
1 firm – fresh witlof
1 small potato, boiled and diced
1tablespoon margarine
1 egg
1tablespoon Parmesan cheese or Gruyere
Salt and pepper or salt and herbs
1/4cup olive oil
3cups braised red tomatoes:
            16 smalll skinned red tomatoes
            1cup water and ¼ cup olive oil
            Herbs-basil, bay leaf, salt to taste

Method

Braise the tomato with all ingredients over low heat for about 1 hour
Witlof-outer leaves discarded, and inner leaves separated, washed and dry
Mash the potato and the margarine; mix with egg, cheese, salt and pepper, until all are combined
Stack 3 pieces of the washed witlof-leaves; make four of these
Put the braised tomato in a saucepan; place the stacked witlof leaves on top
Drizzle with olive oil; fill a tablespoon of potato mixture on each witlof stack.
Covered the saucepan, braised the witlof rapidly for 8 minutes
Reduce the heat and continue braising for 10 minutes

To serve:  Serve as an entrée or to garnish for poached fish



How to Do
The ingredients: mash potato with margarine, egg/Parmesan cheese and the witlof leaves

Witlof leaves stacks on the braise tomato

Cooked braised stuffed open witlof with potato and cheese

Serving the Witlof with Herbs





No comments:

Post a Comment