Monday 5 September 2011

Asparagus



New Asparagus

When I was gathering my herbs in the backyard, I saw a couple of asparagus appearing already.  I planted the asparagus from the seeds about six years ago.  It has not been established since I don't know why.  Last year I harvested about two dozen, I would say not too bad, but it could have been better.  Hopefully this year they will do better, so far I only have one crown, It survived, but it is not spreading.

New Shoots Asparagus

I may have to do more reading to learn how to look after the asparagus plants.  I know that they do like a lot of water and fertile soil.  The soil may need special treatments, it needs more compost and fertilisers perhaps. 

I was thinking to get new asparagus plants; the white/cream and also purple, however, it is too late now, I should get them last winter. I know that I have to concentrate on managing,  that I already have and hoping for a successful harvest this year.

Spring is here, happy gardening to you all.



Until next time
Susy.

No comments:

Post a Comment