Monday 23 April 2012

To Lily Anna

Selapanan

Today is a particular Monday for us because today my baby granddaughter Lily is turning thirty-five days old.  It is a significant number for the Javanese tradition to celebrate 'Selapanan"  In Javanese Calendar a week is five days; market days - pasaran. Instead of Monday to Sunday, the Javanese have Kliwon, Legi, Pahing, Pon and Wage (there are 5 pasaran). Every day is therefore named differently in one Selapan period (when it is combined with the Arabic weekdays).

Thirty-five days is seven weeks.  Seven is a significant number that is a time to give thanks to God, for her health, and He will bless her and keep her safe and well. 
I hope I interpreted it correctly.

Rice and vegetable salad dressed with coconut dressing
(Bancakan Rice)
My offering for her 'Selapanan' are fine cooking, rice served with vegetable salad; also I baked mini cakes that I shared with our friends. It is a very very small and simple gesture, just the thought that Nana an Pop are thinking of you-Lily, especially today.

Two Varieties of Mini Muffins To Share

Mini apple muffins with caramel topping and fresh almond flakes
Mini strawberry muffins with white chocolate


Lily Anna when she was born
I did not follow the Javanese ritual when the children were growing up, but now in my later life, I feel a kind of nostalgic.  I do it for myself, it has nothing to do with my family/children.  Basically, it is an excuse for me to cook something beautiful that I love to share.  My children who grew up in this western society have their own belief.


For Lily, her first celebration is going to be her baptism as she has Catholic parents.

In my parent's house, they had a lot of celebrations, they respected and appreciated Javanese traditions, even though they belonged to the Catholic church.  I have lovely memories about it, family and friends always got together at our parent's home, to celebrate occasions with delicious food.  My mother was particularly so kind and generous to people around her.

Recipe

Coconut Dressing
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1/2 cup water and 1 kaffir lime leaf
Onion and a garlic-1/2 small onion, diced, 1 garlic, chopped
1 small slice galangal
2 teaspoons full light brown sugar and a dash of salt
1/2 of lime juice  and 1 tablespoon oil
Method
It is easy, what you have to do is place all the ingredient in a pot
Bring to boil, keep on cooking until the water is absorbed
Now you have a moist, sweetish and flavoursome dressing

Gudangan Sayur
(Vegetable Salad)
Boil, spinach, carrots, mung beans.  Eggs for garnish
Toss the vegetables with the dressing, served with egg cut in halves.



The Preparation for Lily's  Selapanan

Mini Muffins

Bumbu Gudangan - Coconut Salad Dressing


Gudangan Sayur-Vegetable Salad
with Coconut Dressing
Rice served with gudangan sayur
and other garnishes


We love to visit you, Lily, and have fun with all your brothers and sister soon.
Nana and Pop xx.

It has been a lovely journey for me, reminiscing my childhood traditions, enjoying cooking for granddaughter Lily's selapanan.  Thank you, Lily.  Today is a great day.

Thank you all for stopping by

Until Next Post
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment