Monday 30 May 2011

The Steak

Porterhouse Steak



 My introduction to eating steak in Australia was way back in 1974.  In March of that year, Frank drove us in his car from Tullamarine to Hamilton.  Frank was the vice principal of Monivae College, where my husband was going to be working. He invited us for dinner that day, so he took us to a restaurant in the Southern Cross Hotel, Bourke Street in Melbourne.  The Southern Cross Hotel was a big hotel with excellent services.

It was quite an experience for me about the food; I had a massive serve of steak (porterhouse) and other garnishes. It looked great and generous, the steak was bigger than the plate (I thought). 

Generally, in Asia, people eat less meat than in the Western world.  I could not finish the meal, but I understood the simplicity of the cooking and flavours that were only salt and pepper. I have learned a lot more about how to cook and to serve steaks, of course.  Eating lean red meat is better than eating fatty beef.

Since then, I never go back to revisit the place, I was happy enough to live in the country with my family.
Sadly enough, the Hotel was demolished in 1999 for whatever reason that I do not know.

Now and then I do cook steaks, I must confess though that the porterhouse steak is my favourite steak. Time has changed, all the cut of steaks are much smaller now. I think it is an excellent idea for health reasons.   I don’t serve steaks with béarnaise sauce or other creamy sauces.  There are many simple sauces, such as red wine reduction sauce, or just pesto sauce, they are lighter and also healthier.
The good thing about cooking steaks is it's rapid, and a special treat too. 

Home cooking: Porterhouse steak served with
mushrooms and red wine reduction sauce.





To Frank
I respected him highly.  He was a kind gentleman.


Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment