Wednesday 25 January 2012

Orchids

Crucifix Orchids - Epidendrum

Twin potted crucifix orchids at my entrance are flowering, they were from Joan and Roland.   I did not know much about the crucifix orchid until we have them.  I promised myself to look after the orchids, and I am doing well.  The orchids are looking healthy, and at present, they have three stems of flowers on each orchid.  The flower is so delicate, a cluster of red flowers on each stem.  They are so pretty against the white wall. 

Red Crucifix Orchids



Literature about the orchid I have found, I must read and study about it, and hopefully, I could look after it even better.  I am glad that the orchid is suitable for container's plant.

More Flowers To Come


Epidendrum
Traits: Sun, Shade, Coastal, Rockery, Container
There are up to 1,000 members of this orchid genus from southern USA, Mexico, and Central and South America. A member of the family Orchidaceae, the genus contains epiphytes, lithophytes, and terrestrial species. The standard "crucifix" orchids, such as Epidendrum ibaguense, are terrestrial species with reed-like stems and many aerial roots, but others, especially the epiphytes, often have much shorter stems. The majority of species in this genus are epiphytes and lithophytes. These are ideal orchids for beginners, as they are reliable bloomers that will reward with large clusters of vibrant flowers if their basic cultivation requirements are met. An added bonus is that many of them bloom year-round, bringing welcome colour to the garden, particularly in the colder months, when the garden is often in need of an infusion of colour. (Wikip)




Flowering Cymbidiums 2011
The cymbidium orchids are surviving well during the summer season, they are sitting under the shrubs and under the eaves of the house.  They do need water, the rainwater helps me a lot; however,, they do require extra care during hot weather.  They all look green and healthy, I do hope they will give me flowers this year.

A few colours of cymbidiums that may be flowering, they are so beautiful and last for a long time.





Cymbidium Orchids are Under The Shades




The hot days are good for some, for swimming, sports or even gardening.  But when it is too hot is not very good for me, it's very tiring.  Thinking of all my peers during this time, I hope we all cope well.
I am looking forward to a relaxed and pleasant change.

Until Next Post
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment