Tuesday 24 January 2012

Ode To Strawberries


Strawberries-A Celebration of Fruits

How many times do I want to get rid of my strawberry plants, far too many?  This year they look very green and lush.  The leaves are broad, there are a lot of flowers and a reasonable amount of crop to harvest.  At this stage, I have changed my mind, I will keep them.  And may be I will improve them to grow better and to be protected from the birds.

Beautiful Fresh Strawberries to Pick


The birds left me some this morning, I had a lot of berries to pick.  So far, the family enjoys them as fruit salads and mixed berries.  Eat them fresh at their best that is what we do.  Strawberries are one of the friendlies berries. They are easy to plant, to pick, to preserve and to cook.  Strawberries for jam, muffin, and shortcake, to name of a few.  Strawberries mixed with honey and brandy is excellent for any topping or to enjoy them as they are. 

Rosy Strawberry In White Wine
wash and hull the berries, add some caster sugar, mix and toss
refrigerate for an hour, add the white wine before serving



Strawberries, Honey and Brandy
1 cup red strawberries, wash and hull
1 tablespoon honey
Some lemon juice
2 tablespoons brandy
Place all ingredients in a bowl, mix together gently.
Stay for 10 to 20 minutes, the berries will look beautiful, red and shiny
Serve as you wish.


Ode To  Strawberries
From potted plants, topping for tarts, garnishes for cakes, conserves, shortcakes, marinated with honey and brandy, fresh fruit salad,  fresh lettuce salad with strawberries,  and many more.  Strawberry has a vibrant red colour, it is a celebration for summer fruits. 



I will be fixing the strawberry patch better this year but may be smaller.  With extra care and time to look after it,  I am sure I will get more and better quality of berries.

Any tips from you about how to grow better strawberries are most appreciated.  Leave some comments.  Thank you.




Until Next Post
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment