Sunday 15 January 2012

In The Garden

Potted Plants,  Citruses  and the Vegetable patch   for  2012


I hope you all had a great Christmas, a joyful Holiday and a pleased New Year

 Now I am getting back into my routine.  I am trying to update what is happening in my garden. Potted plants are doing well, the citruses are fruiting, and the roses give beautiful flowers.

The tomatoes, the green beans, the herbs in the vegetable patch are looking healthy and also the silverbeets.  I have no luck for the chillies this year.

Bakwan Tofu
I used some herbs from the vegetable patch to add to my cooking,  a dish from JAVA - Bakwan Tofu, a delicious savoury dish for snacking.

It brings back my memories of my sisters who love to eat this bakwan with fresh green chillies.  I do too if I could find one.


Showing the flowering potted plants; gardenia, petunia, both are flowering beautifully, monstera deliciosa, tropical canna are looking excellent and potted fig which is fruiting right now, it has six figs.



Citruses;  pomelo, lemon and lime they are all fruiting.  There are a few pomelo fruits, the lemon tree has ten lemons.  I am so pleased as it is the first fruit from the tree.  The lime is doing amazingly well; it has more than forty limes.


The pomelo has five fruits
First fruits from the lemon tree

A lot of limes from the lime tree.

The roses are so generous with their blooms.

The vegetable patch, tomatoes are start ripening, in fact, I harvested some of the Romano tomatoes.  The garlic chives come back and almost flowering, the basil and chillies are not doing well.  This summer, I may have to buy them fresh from the market.

The harvest from tomato, herbs to strawberries


RECIPE:

Bakwan Tofu with Prawns and Garlic Chives

Ingredients:
325 g white firm tofu, drain the water (squished the tofu) then mash it up
7 fresh prawns meat, chopped finely
2 eggs, small - 50g
2 tablespoons chopped garlic chives and a tablespoon lovage
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup oil for shallow frying
Place all ingredients in a bowl, mix them thoroughly
Heat up the oil on a frying pan, over medium heat
Make small patties of the tofu mixture  then fry them in the hot oil
Turn it over when it's brown, just play around to turn a few times until cooked through.
Transfer on to an absorbent paper to drain the oil
Serve hot or room temperature with chilli sauce.

OMIT  THE  PRAWNS! YOU HAVE A DELICIOUS VEGETARIAN.

Preparation and Cooking
Delicious Bakwan Tofu with Prawns

I found a self-seeding plant in my garden, it looks so healthy, I decided to keep it to find out what sort of plant it is.  Maybe a pumpkin or perhaps the spaghetti squash that I had last year.

A pumpkin plant?


Until Next Post
Stay Tuned
Susy



2 comments:

  1. What does lovage taste like? What is a good substitute for it, as I can't get any? These tofu patties look so yummy. Mel x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use some flat parsley instead of lovage.
    I don't think you could get them from the shop or market.

    ReplyDelete