Tuesday 7 February 2012

Cycad-Australian Native

Cycad,  An Australian Native Plant

The potted garden needs to be cared for, summertime is the busiest time, as it needs watering more than in other seasons. Potted herbs and flowers are reasonably good, in fact at the moment cyclamens are back to flowers, so are clivia.  The sad thing is that my cycad plant is not too well, the leaves are dried.  It was so beautiful, it has a lot of leaves, and the colour was intense green.

The sad Cycad, the leaves are dried, it suffered from root rot.

Today is a dry day, suitable for reporting, to fix the cycad.   I decided to replant it with the hope it is coming back next spring.  I learnt that it suffered from root rot, so  I replanted with good soil, put it on a clean pot.  Now it sits in a place which is cold but sunny enough, that may be the best for it.

Repotting the Cycad







I did not know what happened to my cycad after I added some potting mix into the pot a few months ago, the plant became unhealthy, the leaves started to change colour to become yellowish,  then eventually they are dried, 
I kept my three-quarter full bag of potting mix in my open shed, maybe some chemical got into it I am not sure.  The other potted plant was a beautiful potted hydrangea which I planted for my daughter Susan, well it has gone dried too, no leaves no life.  So did the potting mix kill a few plants?!  I could not recall the name of the brand. 



I did reading about Cycad, it is information for you who wishes to learn about it.  This image of Cycad from Wikipedia.

Cycad

File:CycadKingSago.jpgCycads are ancient seed plants, dating back over 200 million years.  In the Jurassic Period, cycad-like plants dominated world vegetation, which is why this era is sometimes referred to as ‘The Age of Cycads’.  However, through the centuries cycads have declined both in number and distribution.  Today three families are commonly recognised, with 11 genera and 250 species. There are many Australian native cycads and three endemic genera: Bowenia, Lepidozamia and Macrozamia.  Although they are trendy garden plants, cycads are threatened, endangered or extinct in the wild.

Cycads thrive in tropical and subtropical areas with moderate to high rainfall.  They resemble palms or tree ferns and have a thick, soft trunk and a crown of large divided leaves.  These primitive plants are dioecious  (i.e. male and female reproductive structures are borne on separate plants).  Male plants produce pollen in cones, and female plants produce large, brightly coloured seeds on the edges of leaf-like structures.  The seeds are highly poisonous and must be treated with care. (Burke's Back Yard)

Horticulture:
Cycads make excellent subjects for the garden or for growing in containers, though patience is the "name of the game" for their propagation and raising.
In the garden, they will grow in virtually any position, including shade, but do best with at least some access to sunlight. Soil type is not critically provided it is well-drained, though it does not prosper on calcareous soils. Light applications of slow-release fertilisers are helpful. Pests are few, but caterpillars may damage young fronds, and the older plants may be attacked by scale. (Australian plants online)


Productive activities today in the morning. Leisurely lunch for the family as an appointment in the late afternoon has to be attended.   It is all good.

Open sandwiches, cheese bread with chicken avocado salad.

Leftover can save time.




I will update my cycad,  I hope it is going to live.  I have lost my precious Wollemi Pine (one of the ancient Australian pines).  No, I don't want another one.  It was good to have it for almost five years in a pot.
Until Next Post
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment