Monday 20 February 2012

Confession

Accidental Dish

There are days when we all had misadventure in the kitchen when the plan for the day did not work out very well.  Disappointment is the result. Obviously, we can feel that way, and we are allowed to.  In the same time, we can have a better outcome by fixing the problems, and we can learn from it.

This experience that I had on the day I cooked unsuccessful cheese souffle, turned out to be a new dish for the day.  Instead of wasting the right ingredients and my time, I saved the deflated souffle, they were individual small souffle baked in ramekins.  I put them  back in the oven, and baked for another 25 minutes.  It looked golden brown and soft in the middle, they were almost thin choux pastry.  I serve them as salad holder.

As the texture is similar to custard, then I call the dish: prawns salad on the baked savoury custard.  It was good,  I was lucky enough that I cooked only for the family, not for our guess.


The accidental dish
prawns salad on baked savoury custard


I was preparing the souffle with enthusiasm, I got so excited when I saw them in the oven, they rose so high.  Wow,  a few minutes to go, they would be golden brown and rise even higher.
The time has come to take them out from the oven, then they collapsed.  Oh no, oh no.  There is no way that I could rescue the deflated souffle.

Collapsed and Deflated Souffles

The mistakes that  I did about this collapsed souffles were: overbeaten the egg white, instead of a soft peak, it was dry and dull, added to the base that still slightly warm, and also over mix when combining the egg white to the bottom, and the oven was not hot enough.

The Preparation
The collapsed Souffles


I am sure I have learnt a lot, and next time I will do better also successfully.




Have a Happy Monday, and Enjoy the rest of the week.

Until Next Post
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment