Monday 26 March 2018

HERBS


Lemon Myrtle Tea
Love these herbs that grow in my garden.  Herbs are essential for my cooking, and for garnishes.  Add fresh herbs to boiling water to make herbal tea is good. It relaxes you and has a calming effect.
To brew herbal tea, pick fresh mints or cut fresh lemongrass, wash them properly.  Place in a pot, add lots of boiling water.  Leave for a few minutes, let the herbs release the fragrant before serving.  That's another way to prepare the herbal tea. Another herbal tea that I like is lemon myrtle tea.


Potted Herbs
Potted Saffron of a Nursery
Transferring the potted saffron to a large Pot














It's good to have potted saffron in my potted herb garden.
Unfortunately, the potted saffron did not survive, and never harvest the saffron,  It's tragic, but It was good to try to plant.  Luckily the dried saffron for cooking is easily be purchased in any Supermarket in Australia.  In fact, good quality saffron produced in Tasmania, we don't need to buy the overseas product any longer.

One of my cooking using saffrons was pea soup, the recipe is in an older post.  Type: Saffron to search.
Pea Soup with Saffron

Soaking Dried Saffron
in Hot Water

Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Oregano and Bay Leaf are perennial herbs, they are potted and convenient to have.  These herbs are useful to add to European cooking, as for Asian cuisine, kaffir lime leaf, lemongrass, ginger and turmeric, these two I had no luck to grow.

The Potted Herbs and Freshly Cut Herbs for Cooking and Garnishes.
Using the herbs for cooking as people would do, and I do for garnishes for serving the dishes from savouries to sweets.  In my kitchen, how I celebrate the fresh herbs.

Rice garnished with fresh mints and Fish decorated with fruits and fresh herbs
Sweet Garnished with Rosemary

Using the bay, to add to stews, soups, any long braising, especially tomato sauce for pasta. It is delicious to add to the meatloaf.  I did carrot, mushroom and meat terrine, and the bay is one of the herbs in the ingredients.  It is a considerable saving if you have your own herb garden, one of the bonuses.
Potted Bay Leaf
The cooking using the bay leaf, a delicious light dish-the carrot terrine served with salads, and it is suitable for picnic food, and it freezes well too.  No recipe, as I simply prepared without the note.
Carrot, Mushroom and Meat Terrine with Bay leaves.
Milo Cake

The recipe for moist Milo Cake is in an older post.  It is a very moist cake, people seem very curious about it.  You could find a lot more cooking using herbs through this blog.  If you love using herbs as much as I do, you may like to explore this blog.  Simply type: cooking with herbs.

I will close the post with a cute story about the Bay Leaf.  Once upon a time, we were invited by friends (a couple)  for lunch. I love to give the host a bunch of herbs from my garden, an honest gesture that I always do.  It was a pretty small bouquet of herbs, but something was missing, that was the bay leaf.  I determined to add the bay leaves into it, even though the potted bay were only small.  I cut a sprig of the bay leaves and add the bouquet to make it complete, and it looked so pretty.  I was so pleased and proud.  As I found out when we got there, the couple had a large bay tree, taller than their house, very well established Bay Tree.  OH!
I am happy to tell you that my potted bay tree is living well and right, and now is taller-bigger and useful.

Pictures the dishes above were taken from the older posts,




Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment