Monday 3 March 2014

Potted Plants


Potted Plants for Outdoors
The benefits
The soil is readily available, you can purchase from the shop or the nursery, you don't need to treat the ground, everything that the plants need is there already
The pot can be placed anywhere, in the sunny or cooler area where it is suitable for the plants to grow. When the flowering potted plants are in flowers, move them to a place where you wish to display.

The disadvantages
Watering, fertilising have to be regular
Replenish the soil and top up with mulch is very important
Repotting, the pots need to be done when the plants have overgrown and are sure to repot in time to avoid root-bound.

The Potted Plants

Potted Fig Brown Turkey 
It is only one year old.

The first harvest was three figs, and they were small but so sweet.

Another Potted Fig

It is more than four years old potted fig, and the fruit is abundant with light pink flesh.  Soft and Sweet.  I saw one of the fruits was ready, but I thought maybe I will pick it tomorrow.  Oh, it was too late, the birds picked at a bit of it.  Today I harvest the almost one fruit and share it with Rayner.  It is time to cover the tree to protect from the birds.


The Herbs
The potted herbs are growing well, and they are convenient as I put them close by my kitchen.  My potted sage is more than six years old, isn't it amazing?, but I think it had it now, I am grateful though that it can last that long in a pot.  Now I have a new sage plant that I got from Farmer's market, I could use a few leaves until it has settled and grown better.  My other potted herbs are Bay tree, thyme, rosemary, oregano, mints, parsley (seasonal).  Using the herbs for cooking is essential for me, fresh herbs are delicate, but they impart the flavour beautifully make the cooking taste great.  Having herb plants is very economical.
My new potted sage plant
My new potted lemongrass-my third attempt to plant


The sample of my cooking using fresh herbs:

Preparation for filling with fresh herbs flavour.

Savarin tins are lined with mixed fresh herbs.

Mixed herbs for chicken and golden rice



Using the savarin container, the beautiful stuffed chicken with herbs, filled with golden rice is ready to poach. 


They are my unique cooking, the filling for savoury brioche.  It needs about five mixed fresh herbs, imagine if I don't have herb garden or potted herbs, I will be in trouble.  Simply I could not afford.

Potted Bay Tree, Potted Mint and Sage, Potted Rosemary



Other Potted Plants

Potted Grasses are growing well,  I started to have the mixed grasses in pots this year, just see how they go, they do look beautiful, especially the red flame grass in the black containers.
Potted curly hoya looks beautiful, it has never been flowering, maybe soon.

Too many pots in my garden I have to admit, I file them by colours, I thought it is more appropriate, that way I could get a lot of styles.  After all the garden is as you like it, it is not a formal or semi-formal, neither a cottage garden.  So far, I tried to minimise the number of pots, and I think I did well.  At the moment I have been repotting the yucca plants, they are in huge pots, and it is still in progress.

On that note, I will be back to tell you all when the repotting has finished.  To be continued.


It has been a hectic weekend, and so have the children and the grandkids been.

Busy time is a happy time.



Until Next Post
Susy



No comments:

Post a Comment