Friday 14 June 2013

Nasturtiums


Leafy Nasturtium Plants

In my garden, the nasturtiums are growing beautifully, so lush and green.  They have mixed flowers, yellow, orange, red and also variegated.

Some of the leaves are so broad, very large that make me think to do something interesting in my cooking.

I use the young leaves and flowers to add into my salad, and also for garnishes.

The fresh-raw and young leaves, the taste is rather strong/hot and pungent.  I picked a few of the large leaves, and I poached them to find out if the flavour is the same.  No,  the taste is entirely different,  it becomes mild, almost tasteless.  I thought I could use the leaves for further cooking.

I decided to stuff the leaves as I would do with vine grape leaves.  I believed that my idea was going to work.  The filling was meat, rice and middle eastern spices: cumin, garlic, mint and rosemary.
Stuffed Nasturtium Leaf Rolls.
I made eight stuffed nasturtium leaves.  It's a somewhat fiddly process, the leaves are so delicate to handle, you need patience and time.

A Single Large Nasturtium Leaf 


Beautiful Nasturtium Flowers for Mixed Herbs in A Vase

Nasturtium Flowers as Garnish


Stuffed Nasturtium Leaves
to make 8

Pick sixteen large leaves, scald the leaves in boiling water for a few seconds, transfer them into cold water.  Let them cold completely, and keep the leaves in the water.

Step By Step How To Do
Place 1 tablespoon filling
wrap to enclose the filling
Nasturtium Leaf Roll with The filling
The Rolls are ready for braising


 Place them onto a deep pot, add in chopped sun-dried tomato and fresh tomato, herbs, also 1 cup stock/water,  cover the pot. Cook and braise slowly over low heat for about 45 minutes.

The Braising
chopped sun-dried tomato, fresh tomato, dried herbs and salt for braising
Add 1 cup stock, cover the pot and braise for 45 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed
Braise for 45 minutes with the lid on.
Bring to a simmer and braise in high heat for 5 minutes
Reduce the heat,  cook to braise over a lower heat until
the liquid is absorbed about 35 minutes.

To Serve

When they are cooked, transfer onto a serving plate and dressed with yoghurt and chilli
Serve hot, with a fresh leafy salad.


@@@@@@@@@@



A basket full of mixed herbs 
Freshly Picked Herbs and Nasturtium Flowers

That was my first attempt to cook nasturtium leaves, I am sure the stuffed nasturtium leaf rolls are suitable for deep freezing.  It is an excellent time to prepare now if you have the plants in the garden.  On a cold and wet day like today, you will enjoy the beautiful, hot/warm meal from your kitchen.




Until Next Post
Thank You For Visiting
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment