Thursday 16 March 2017

Savoury and Sweet

Having bread and butter is always good if you like the savoury taste, but if you prefer sweet, the iced cake would be the answer. Sweets, drinks, or fruits are picked you up food.   On a hot day to have plenty of drinks is essential, but for a treat, fresh fruits and cream is a match made in heaven, on that note pavlova, was the sweet treat for us.  Indeed I baked it and enjoyed eating it.
The olive bread which I baked the other day was good so the pavlova.  I did not knead the dough by hands instead the electric kneading hook did it.  The dough was satiny and proofed very well in one hour.  However, I placed the bread closer to one another on the baking tin, and the crust was not brown evenly.
The Baking Bread and The Perfect Pavlova.

The dough preparation

The kneading in a stand mixer using the dough hook was only for four minutes at a low speed and continue at a high rate for six minutes. after one hour of proofing, the dough was ready for second kneading and shaping.

Kneading lightly by hands was essential.  Divide the dough into three, and shape into oval instead of round.  Rest them for 15 minutes before the final shaping.

Roll the dough out, scatter the pitted and chopped olives, roll over and over to enclose the olive and shape it into a longish roll. 

Proof for one hour and bake in a hot oven
Freshly Baked Olive Bread
Cool the olive bread on the wire rack

Olive bread delicious toasted.
The bread was right, it has a good texture, but I think it could be better.  I will try one day again, and I am sure I will do better just as I wanted it.  



Pavlova The Sweet Treat 
Fresh mangoes we had plenty and so other fresh fruits. The pavlova was the showcase of these fruits.
The meringue was ready to dress, baked the previous day.
The Cream
The Fresh Fruits
The Pavlova
Beautiful Pavlova and It was Plenty to Share with.
 One craves and wants for a sweet, as I did last time to have meringue and fruits, maybe our body needs sweets occasionally.

Savoury or Sweet?  Which one?  Everyone has their own preference,  maybe you would love both.

Savoury made out of rice is delicious, especially for the one who loves rice.
I prepared Arem-Arem (stuffed rice rolls with meat and wrapped in the omelette) and luscious sweet custard to fill choux pastry.  They were our contribution to a celebration at our sports club.
Today is the 13th anniversary for the KeenAgers Club-A Table Tennis Club for people over fifty five years. Congratulations!

I think it is good that people over fifty-five get together regularly to play sports, to keep fit and also having a good time.

At home, a fun morning to dress the pretty sweet and lovely savoury.
Choux Pastry filled with Custard.

 Arem-Arem

There were a lot more beautiful savouries such as sandwiches, kabana and biscuits, mini pies and mini sausage rolls, and also plenty of sweets; cakes, slices, fruit cakes, cookies, chocolate, even fresh fruits to have and of course the celebration cake that we all enjoyed. It was a good day.


Easter is coming soon, but resting from the kitchen is better.  Indeed I indulged myself for having pavlova, my children have reminded me that it is a Lent.  I am looking forward to the Easter Feast, there will be a sensational savoury and sweeter sweets to have.


Until Next Post
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment