Monday 13 May 2013

Saffron

Saffron Plants for Susy

Well, well, well. I have been so lucky that I found saffron plants at the Grow Master Nursery yesterday.  I did not need to think too long to decide that it is for me.  It was the only a pot left and has two saffron plants.   I purchased the pot, and I took it home.  Planting and looking after saffron plants, I don't know much, but I could learn.
At this stage, I like to keep the plant in a large pot, as advised by Christine at The Grow Master nursery. The saffron plant is going to be among the collection of my potted plants.

I cook with saffron when I am feeling rich, love the colour and the flavours.  Seven years ago, when we were passing through Spain, I managed to buy a large number of dried saffron strands and also saffron powder, and got through the custom alright.  I thought the price was a lot cheaper compared to saffron in Australia.  Whenever I could get access to buy saffron I do it, only last year I got beautiful saffron in Dubai, it was the most massive spices shop supply that I have ever been visiting, I have been using it sparingly, it is so good and yet inexpensive over there.

I am looking forward to having the fresh saffron from my backyard; unfortunately I could not harvest it until a few years.  However, I am so pleased to have this new precious plant in my garden.

Potted Saffron Plants

I plan to transfer to a larger pot, I have to make sure using excellent quality soil, compost and organic fertiliser,  Yes indeed I have all of those ready in my garden shed.
I will update what is happening about this saffron plant, and if I do it well, you may like to plant some saffron in your backyard too.

May the 12th, today is Mother's Day, and I am planting the saffron to a larger pot. I will remember it always.
Replanting The Saffron onto a Larger Pot



Fresh herbs and vegetable seedlings will keep me busy this week, and it is good that finally, I have perennial basil, which is useful for Asian cooking.  It is going to be fun to use it, especially for Asian salads.

Herbs: perennial basil, curly parsley, coriander and carrot seedlings.

It is for the first time that I will plant carrots, I know that proper soil preparation is needed, fertile soil with good drainage and compost are essential. I think this carrot seedling will have a right home in a pot, more potted plants for me.  My potted perpetual lettuce is settled in and looking good, they are growing well, and hopefully I will harvest them soon.

Potted Mixed Lettuces



Using Saffron
I use saffron for cooking rice to add a distinctive flavour and bright yellow colour.  I add some strands onto soups. Also, I soak in hot water, then use it to add onto mayonnaise.  Add it onto syrup to poach any fresh fruits, especially apples and pears.

Saffron for Susy is one of the gifts for Mother's day 2013.  I could be very proud if I could say " I will harvest some saffron this month".! That would be cool!

I will post a recipe using saffron soon.


Until Next Post
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment