Saturday 11 May 2013

May In The Garden

We have been so lucky to have a few sunny days in the late Autumn, I make the best of the beautiful weather to spend time outdoors.  Walking to town, cycling and gardening.

After my conversation with Christina about her vegetable garden and what she has in it, I was so impressed, and I was also inspired by her to be more serious about my vegetable garden. I have to admit, though, that I don't do much of planting winter vegetables.   I don't have as much variety of vegetables in my veg patch, but a few potted vegetables that  I have are growing very well, and they make me proud.  My potted celeriac is doing beautifully, it is fantastic, and I think in a few weeks I shall harvest it.  Last time I planted them in the ground, but they did not do any good.  A couple of recipes I have in mind already for the celeriac, just see.

The Vegetables
Celeriac in a pot with herbs
The potted celeriac is healthy and doing well.












My perpetual lettuces are growing well in a pot.
Potted mixed lettuces










I could use some of the leaves already, in fact, I must pick some today for my salad.   It goes well with red capsicum of my potted plant, they are all almost turning red.












Potted Perpetual Lettuces

Serving salads daily is always right, we love our fresh vegetables.  I have to think more interesting composed salads for this late Season.

My herbs garden is a little tired, I must attend to it, especially the potted herbs.  They have been so useful for my cooking and freshly brewed tea-Tissane.

The Citruses
Remember,  I mentioned about my new dwarf Lisbon lemon tree, now it is fruiting for the second times, and it had more than twenty-five lemons.
Dwarf Lisbon - Lemon Tree


I am pleased to see that the lemons are ready to pick, they are large and golden yellow.

I believe that every family ought to have a lemon tree in the garden, it is so versatile.  You could use them for cooking, baking and cleaning.  The skin adds extra freshness and fragrance for washing up.


Lisbon Lemons



Other citruses are doing well too, the mandarin is fruiting, the Tahitian limes do better this year, more so the Pomelo which is bearing more fruits, and now they are nine of them growing larger every day. 
Tahitian Lime with the limes
Mandarin Tree with fruits 


Pomelo Tree with large fruits

There are a lot more happening in the garden this month, the white Camellia is in full bloom, creating a lovely green wall alongside the front yard.

Next time I must show you what is happening with my cymbidium orchids, I put one flowering orchid inside the house already, it won't be long we shall enjoy the full bloom.

Until next post, enjoy the weekend, and to all mothers, I wish you to have a happy Mother's Day and have a fantastic day.

On that note, I am sure you will have so much fun,  Melanie, happy mother's day to you, enjoy the children-Mary, Thomas, Henry, and Lily.  Together with Lance and the whole family, you will have a fantastic time together.  Also to Jane, have a great day tomorrow, happy mother's day for the first time, I am thinking of you all that you, Ed, Milo will have a fantastic day.


Thanks for visiting
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment