Wednesday 22 August 2018

Two Days Over Due


Avocado.
You took the best avocado home from the market with good intention, to prepare delicious food for the family. I bought one of them, and it's not ready yet, too firm to be consumed, it had to sit in a bowl until ripening.  Busy with other things, the plan was forgotten until you realised the avocado was soft and overripe.  What do you do with it?  I cut the avocado, looked and tasted, the flesh was creamy.  Aah, the taste was right; then I would go ahead to using it.

 Over Due Avocado
If a couple of days ago I remembered, it would be different,  but the fruit looked alright from outside,  it's soft to the touch.

Cut to open and learn what the taste like.
The colour was not that green, cream but not brown, the taste was good.  Salvaging the unaffected portions of the avocado is a perfectly acceptable practice.   It was still useful.
Add lemon juice or sour cream to save them, serve it for a dip.

Adding fresh lime or lemon juice to make the best of the avocado.  So here it was we had avocado puree with a creamy texture, and it's perfect for a spread in the sandwiches instead of using butter.  Serve at once. That's what I did, the avocado spread was enough to make two sandwiches.
You could add chilli for flavour, and it's good to make guacamole and consume it on the same day.  



A tip for you girls, Mel, Jane and Susan, I am sure it has happened to you and also, maybe people out there had the experience too. I thought it is a good idea sharing about saving the avocado.  They are healthy fruit but very pricey, caring about it is very important.

Brown and soft overripe avocado are not good, just discard it.


Can we eat overripe avocado-brown avocado?
(the answer is based on my reading)
Those stringy brown things are the seed doing what seeds do and trying to grow into a tree. You can eat them without a problem. By this point, the flavour of the avocado will be as delightful as sawdust, with a delicate bouquet of chalk.
Eating overripe avocado is not harmful, but it doesn't taste great.

A story to Tell.
I met a shopper the other day in the market, a man was picking up sugar snaps pea, and I could not help it to say - they looked so dry, they have been sitting here for long, as I was standing next to him getting my vegetables.  And he replied, that 's ok, what I would do when I got home, I will soak them in the water for a few minutes, wash and dry them, keep in a plastic container and put them in the fridge so my children could take them to school for their snacks.  Wow, bravo!  I never thought of that ( no, I did not say that but only in my mind). I did not occur to me to ask his name was, anyway, he must be a father of young primary school children. There you go, another tip for us all how to save vegetables. Thank you, young man!
I was just me. Sometimes I have to think and learn that not everyone wishes to be talking too.  I was lucky the young man was a king person.  It's all good!


The sun is out today.😐
Susy

2 comments:

  1. Hah! Great tips to pick up if you chat with strangers 😜 Milo is always berating Papa / Edwin for striking up conversations with strangers or cracking jokes. It’s one of my favorite things about Edwin!!! I need to be more attentive about not wasting ... I do buy the cheaper uglier veggies (branded as such)! That’s a start....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comments, I am glad that you like the idea of this post. Susy

    ReplyDelete