Saturday 1 February 2014

The Year of The Horse

Chinese New Year Wishes For You!The 31 January 2014 is the Chinese New Year, it is the year of the horse, in their calendar this year is 4721. Chinese people all over the world celebrate the new year with festivity, parties, giving money/presents, and sharing beautiful food.
Happy New Year to you all, I wish you peace, good luck and prosperity.  Enjoy your celebration and happy feasting.

Chinese New Year in Java.
I remember now, my parents always received a hamper from their Chinese business friends every Chinese New Year.   It has a collection of delicious and beautiful food, and one of them was Kue keranjang, that is a special basket cake to celebrate Chinese New Year.  The Kue Keranjang is now as popular as ever, and it is readily available in the shops in Yogyakarta-Java, every Chinese New Year.

Kue keranjang
Kue Keranjang (basket cake), also called Nian Gao or Tii Kwee in Hokkien, China is a cake that is made from glutenous rice flour and sugar.  It has an elastic and sticky texture.  This kind of cake is prepared for Imleck celebrations (Chinese New Year).  Kue keranjang was used as for an offering to spirits, just before New Year until the day of Imlek.  As an offering, this cake should not be eaten until Chap Goh Meh (15 days after Imlek)  The shape is round symbolising unity and peace.


Kue keranjang was originally named as Yearly Cake or Seasonal Cake because they are only made once a year.  In East Java, it is called Kue Keranjang: because the wrapper is made out of the bamboo basket with a little hole in the middle.  In west Java, it was named China Cake, as the origin of the cake was from China and also the producers are Chinese people known as Tionghoa.  (Wikip)

I am always curious about this cake as to how it is made.  I know about the ingredients, they are simple and more so, they are readily available here in Australia.  Can it be done at home by any home cook?  Well, I tried and tried, but I never succeeded.  I am not giving up, but it is enough for now.  I found a recipe, but the more I learnt, the more I am reluctant to do.  
Kue Dodol
Wrapped Kue Dodol

People in Java regard that the Kue keranjang is Dodol China.  Kue dodol is a sweet Javanese pudding made out of glutenous flour, sugar and coconut.  The taste of Kue dodol is almost similar to the Kue kerangjang, but I think the texture is different.


I did kue dodol, but it may be not as authentic, this is my interpretation.


Susy Kue Dodol

Kue Dodol
Kue Dodol-to learn more
look up - Wikip

The traditional kue dodol is wrapped; differently, it is now commonly wrapped in clear plastic.





It is about Kue Keranjang to celebrate the Chinese New Year -  Year of the Horse, I think I will get the cake in the Chinese Grocery, to relive what the taste is like, and after all according to the Chinese tradition, the cake won't  be eaten until fifteen days after the new year, that is the sixteen of January.




Until Next Post
Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment