Tuesday 29 March 2011

Spinach Pie For A Treat

Last week my children came home for a visit.  My daughter decided to stay another day.  Most of the time, I love to serve a variety of meals/dishes.  From rice to roast, we had., very enjoyable.
I was so pleased that I could catch up with her a bit longer.  So I cooked her spinach pie for lunch.  I did not have the spinach though so I used the Swiss Chards instead.  I used my own pastry ' Susy's water pastry'.




This is the recipe for you.

Rainbow Swiss Chards Pie with Feta Cheese

(Makes 12 mini pies)

Ingredients:
Swiss chards, chopped (3cups)
Chives and mints, chopped ½ cup
Onion, a half-chopped
6 eggs
200 g Feta cheese
Salt to taste
1cup oil and some butter
Water pastry: a batch from the recipe - ‘Susy’s water pastry.’
2 trays of shallow pies in

Method

The pie filling mixture:
Sautee the onion with 1tablespoon oil until softened.
Add the chopped Swiss chards, chives and mints and cook until wilted, let it cool
Add in chopped/mashed feta cheese, eggs, some salt and mix them thoroughly
Warm some butter then mix with the reminding of the oil for brushing.
Brush the tins with oil mixture lightly.

The Pies

Brush a round pastry with the oil mixture
Place it on the mould (the pastry should be a lot larger than the mould) and put
1 tablespoon full of the pie mixture, gather the pastry to enclose the filling.
Do this sequence until you fill up all the moulds (six rounds in a tin)
Brush the mini pies with oil, bake in the preheated oven of 175 degrees C for 18 minutes
The pies should look golden brown.

To serve:  For a light lunch or for a pic nick.


Happy cooking and enjoy
Susy






No comments:

Post a Comment