Thursday 7 December 2017

The Crown (Updated)


Beautiful Crown sweet, rich bread. Is it a Brioche Crown? Or Stollen crown? it could be
Stollen but the taste lacks in butter, and if it was, it is the wrong shape.  No, we are not playing guessing games here, I am merely telling you that this beautiful crown is made out of brioche dough which is a rich, sweet bread.  However, it was my fault that I did not add enough yeast, I thought my leaven was strong enough for the mixture.  I am sure I am forgiven for that, the texture should be better, light, bready and buttery, but it is not though, still it is sweet and fruity.

I love the generosity of European sweet bread, it has a lot of dried fruits, nuts even liquor added.  Here what I was trying to do was to celebrate the beautiful bread with the bounty of goodness.  The dough contains butter, egg and sugar, and the filling is delightfully delicious, golden raisins, glace pear orange peel, and a mixture of almond meal, icing sugar and melted butter.

I prepared it casually, no recipe was needed and gathering all ingredients of the pantry.  The next day the baking take place I thought, oh no, I must let the brioche resting overnight before the baking, and it was,  Two days was delayed from the original plan, but it's all good.  Sorry, I don't have the recipe to share or even the quantities of the ingredient to tell you.  But you could do the brioche, please look for the recipe at my older post.

Day One, prepare the brioche.  The preparation of the Brioche.
Mixing the dough


The Brioche dough 

Brioche dough after overnight rest
Day Two
Shaping and baking the brioche crown.  Divide the dough into three pieces, and it was 462g per piece. Do one at a time.   Roll it to make a long thin dough.  Add the filling mixture, fold half the dough over, press lightly to adhere, and make a long sausage shape.  Join the two ends to make a circle.
The dough is rolled into a long thin piece.
The Dough and the filling

Put one side over and press to adhere.

Bring two ends together to make a circle.

The filling: almond meal mixture, golden raisins, chopped orange peels,
and chopped glace pears

The Dough is rest to proof for 25 minutes before baking.
Baking.
After the shaping and proofing of 25 minutes, it is time for baking.  Brush the top with milk.
Bake in a hot oven 200 degrees C for 13-16 minutes.  Take it out, and let it rest on a colling tray.  From here you can enjoy it while it is warm (not hot) or you can keep in the freezer.  It freezes well.

Add caption
Add caption

To dress the Brioches, dust with icing powder, or drizzle with melted chocolate, brush with jam and top with extra fruits.



The Beautiful Brioche is good for morning tea or breakfast, and it is good to share with the crowd, cut it into small pieces to make plenty.
It looks good to be a part of Christmas breakfast table, it does look festive.

I do savoury brioche crown to serve on Easter.  I think sweet brioche crown is lovely to be served at Christmas time, a mild to finish off a good year.   Everyone should have a crown, not only kings and queens.  You are all the same and equally important.
Remember we are all important, so we should feel that way not only at Christmas time but every day.



Enjoy the Season, Cheers!!




Updated today Thursday 7-12-2017

A crown day leads to a busy afternoon, beautiful turmeric bread was baked beautifully, golden and gorgeous.  The first bake but was very successful, lovely food to be served for the visitors this weekend.
Sliced Turmeric Bread


Baking Turmeric Bread

Turmeric bread based on the recipe of Eric Kaysar.  The suggestion to serve the bread is with a bowl leafy salad.  I did it differently, but still yum, cut into slices and top up with homemade chicken meatloaf, served as mini open sandwiches.

Cooking or baking always comes with surprises, sometimes work well but could be a failure.  Take both as it is a journey that we can learn from.


Until Next Post
Susy






1 comment:


  1. The Brioche Crown was a good baking, yeast cake is always welcome for the family, I remember at my mother's house she had roti sobek(a rich sweet bread) for us kid. Today I will continue baking my turmeric bread, the dough is sitting in the fridge for slowly rising. I prepared it this morning now I am anxious to find out about the result. I hope is going to be working out, it is a savoury bread not sweet.

    ReplyDelete