Friday 10 November 2017

Bubbles, Bubbly and Whiskey


Too much alcohol?!  No.
A busy day tomorrow morning to fill up appointments and so forth, also planning to bake sourdough bread,  that means tonight I have to make the leaven.  It took only a few minutes to mix the ingredients, and keep in a glass jar and let it stays on the kitchen bench for overnight.
At eight am, I looked at the leaven, and it looked great,  alive and well, full of bubbles,  tiny little visible air pockets throughout which can be seen from the outside of the transparent glass, and I could see also a little bubbly on the surface.  The smell of ripe fruit from the leaven is prominent, it is ready for me to mix the dough,

The Leaven
The leaven in the morning
The leaven mixture 
The leaven is mature, full of bubbles.
The texture of the leaven is thick, but light and airy full of holes
or bubbles and the smell are fruity. 
A good Leaven-white plain flour
The bubbles and bubbly is not of Champagne, but the Leaven that works beautifully.  Ideally, I have to start the process of making the sourdough at 10 in the morning.  It was not going to work, as I had to see the dentist for a six-monthly check-up, at 10.15.  It won't' do, and the making of the bread had to be delayed, and it could start at 11 the earliest.  However, I got started after eleven.  It went well especially, the excellent weather and a slightly warm day helped for the bread making. It is going to be a long process, the bread will be ready by the next day.  Baking sourdough bread takes a long time, could be days.  But most of it is only waiting.  In between, you could do other things as long as you remember the schedules.

The Whiskey, how about the whiskey, yes I bought it for myself.  No, it is not Whiskey the alcohol drink, but it is a standard apricot rose, named Whiskey.  One of the roses in the garden a usual white Iceberg got dry, and I had to pull it out,  and the standard Whiskey rose replaced it.  Planted the Whiskey rose on the same day of my grandson - Thomas 10 years birthday.  It's good as
The Whiskey Rose Delivered in the Afternoon
The new Rose in the Garden.




















It has been a handy and enjoyable day and loving it.  Having a new plant in the garden is always very exciting.  Now, one must not forget to care for, keeping the plant healthy and growing nicely.

Bread making is always fascinated me, yeast bread I could bake, but now I bake sourdough bread and making my own sourdough starter.  From the leaven I prepared last night, I used to bake two-country bread, Boule and Batard.
An experiment is one thing, but not listening to good advice is a disaster.  That was what I did, I baked the 'Batard' in a hot pizza stone, I put the dough directly on the hot stone and baked without a lid.  The result was terrible, the bread was dense and did not rise and spit, but good enough flavour.  I learnt from mistakes, so the second baking, which was the Boule, I did just what I told to do,  or as the recipe says.
I baked in Le Creuset pot with the lid on, and the result was not too bad, the mistake no 2 that I did,  I put the dough in the pot without preheating.  Straight to a cold pot and went into the hot oven to bake.
Another not listening issue was there again.  The baking sourdough bread has its own methods.
The beautiful bubble and bubbly leaven were not appropriately used, a big mistake, more so the time spent was useless, a disappointment indeed!

Tomorrow is another day and could be a baking day a busy day.😊 It is good to move forward and looking for something better.


Enjoy your day, everyone!


Until Next Post
Susy

1 comment:

  1. The sourdough starter is living well as the owner never forgets the feeding. To make a leaven for other baking is easy enough. The warm weather is coming soon, it is the day to have the baking.

    ReplyDelete