Sunday 15 January 2017

CYMBIDIUM ORCHIDS, 2017


Growing Orchid From Scratch.
Cymbidium Radiant Ruby
Dark Lady
Summer in the garden is enjoyable, especially if it is not too hot, watering is essential to get all the plants to stay healthy and growing well.
Cymbidium orchids take a big part of my garden.  My collection of orchids mainly growing outdoor as I don't have a greenhouse. It is the time that I have to move around the plants to get a better place, from under the trees to other sites that are suitable for the orchids to grow.  It does need a lot of works, and attentions when you grow orchids outdoor, but it is all good, I am for it.  The last challenge I had was growing orchid from back-bulb. It is a new journey for me regarding growing cymbidium orchids
We love visiting orchid shows,  last year we visited orchids show in Drouin.  Amazing orchids to see and also demonstrations how to grow, how to repot, and how to divide orchid were offered to everyone interested in.   I decided to be in the section, of sharing orchid and there I was sitting in the front row.  It was about a significant overgrown potted orchid need to be divided into a few potted plants.  The colour of the orchid was deep red, Radiant Ruby,  so beautiful which I don't have in my collection yet. The orchid had a few long stems of flowers and also some buds. Politely asked the man in charge, Phil was his name if I could have or buy the flower.  The answer was no, but I was allowed to have it for free. I stayed and continue to watch
Back Bulb
The demonstration after four new potted orchids have been done, bravely I asked him if I could buy one of them.  The demonstrator asked the owner of the orchid. I think his name was Keneth, and the answer was NO, they are not for Sale! That was it.  But suddenly I was offered a bulb (a back bulb), so I could grow the orchid from it. Very kind, I thought,  I thank him, but I was not sure if I could do it.  Anyway, I did listen and learn how to divide and to grow the orchid from the back bulb.  I took it home and I determent to work with the bulb with hope to succeed.
Before I continue, you may like to know what is back-bulbs. Back-bulbs are the older bulbs that have been removed from an orchid. When a plant is divided, older bulbs (pseudobulbs) cut off to make the plant sit better to the pot.
It is a good idea to share the back bulb to others so they can add their collection.

It is a challenge for anyone to grow orchids from scratch to reach into a flowering time, which may take up to three years. You have to be positive and patient  


Growing Orchid from Back Bulb
On the 19th of September 2016, I planted the back bulb cymbidium-the name of the orchid is Radiant Ruby-'Dark Lady'.  You could see my preparation of planting by these pictures bellow.
Place the pine bark 1/3 in the bottom, add in pit moss 1/3 and place the bulb, push it down a little, and fill more with pit moss around it to cover one-third of the bulb.  Water generously, and keep the pot at a warm but protected place.  I put mine on a window sill which gets morning sun.
Back Bulb of Cymbidium Radiant Ruby 'Dark Lady'
It is clean and ready for planting

Peat Moss and The Back Bulb
Pit moss, back bulb, a pot, and pine barks

The planting of the back bulb was
19 September 2016
Keeping moist and place the pot in a warm place
(water regularly)
The planting had been done, what I had to do was looking after it diligently.  Make sure it got enough water to stay moist and so on.
I watched it, and now and then I checked that the bulb won't get rot because of overwatering.
I did look after it very well, and I did what I suppose to do.

November was the last time I checked, inside the pot was moist, and the bulb was looking good. December was a hectic month, and I know that the pot is there and the bulb was looking healthy. I was too occupied with other chores and activities.  But in January, I found a little leaf emerging from the bulb, OH My Gosh, it's here.  Come to think of it, maybe the new shoot has been there for a while.
I am so so proud and pleased, as a novice, I managed to succeed to grow an orchid from the back bulb. 
The Back Bulb Has a New Shoot
Now I have one addition to my orchids family; indeed, it is the new baby.  I must, and I shall take care of it with care and love.  The new baby orchid will grow very well under my attention, and it will grow to be an excellent mature plant, and in three years, I repeat it again, in three years it will be flowering.  I am very positive that I will be there to take the flowering orchid inside the house for my family to enjoy.

The granules fertiliser
Last week was so hot, it was the time to move some of the orchids plants to a better place. They had a good clean, a good soak of water, light fertiliser and they were dressed with pine bark. Indeed they looked beautifully fresh, clean, and healthy.

The leaves have the right colour, green but light and yellowish.  If they are very green - deep green and lush, that means the plants did not have enough sunlight; consequently, they reduce flowering.
The orchid plants had a good clean, and plenty of water.

Clean orchid plants dressed in fresh pine bark.
Cleaning regularly is essential for cymbidium, what I did was cleaning thoroughly every pot, getting rid of the dry leaves, the white fungus which often is found under the leaf, more so the old dead bulbs.
After finishing the cleaning up, the next step is giving the plant a good wash and shower, make sure that inside the pot is totally wet.  Wait for a little, let the plant has a rest, and the next step can take place.  I think I did it well.
The next step is putting some fertiliser to all the plants, add fresh pine bark over to cover the granules fertiliser.  The job was done for now.
Clean potted cymbidium with granule fertiliser

The cymbidium sit on fertiliser which is well covered by the pine bark.

It has been a good start for caring the cymbidium orchids this year, and  I am so fortunate expanding the orchids collection with the newcomer the Dark Lady - Red Ruby.   More work to come for the rest of the cymbidium orchids.


Until Next Post
Susy


No comments:

Post a Comment