Tuesday 21 April 2020

Batard-Sourdough Bread




LEARNING FROM MISTAKES.
It was lots of fun to start baking the sourdough bread, but I know that all the loaves were not really the best.  One thing that made me satisfied was the starter, the old starter has revived and used for baking successfully.
At Last My, Dream Come True

NO, I cannot give up, a few attempts to bake the sourdough bread, Batard and Boule did not work out like what I wanted.  They were good enough, but to have a better and perfect bread was the dream. 
Lots of sourdough bread baking have been posted, they were good, but they should be better.  

I looked back and assess what I did wrong in every step and details.  Lots of mistakes!
This time I do want to get it right, following the recipe and using the technique faithfully and accurately.  To make a loaf instead of two and see how I go.

A loaf of sourdough bread-Batard is in preparation right now and the plan for the next day baking. 

The Procedures
In The Morning
A. 9.10 making - mixing the leaven

In the Afternoon 
B. 1.00 autolyse-mixing the flour and water and resting for a specific time 


C. 3.00 adding and mixing the leaven

D. 3.35 mixing in the salt add the rest of water (25mil)


In the late afternoon
E. 3.50 Bulk Fermentation
Total time for the bulk fermentation is for four hours, stretch and fold every 15 minutes interval 3 times, and the remaining is the 30-minute interval (3 times).
Continue the bulk fermentation for the rest of the time, which is 1.45, (that's four hours altogether)

At the end of the bulk fermentation the dough should look ver gassy, some bubbles here and there very alive.

In the Evening
F. 7.50 Pre Shaping
Take the dough out from the bowl carefully,  put on to the floured surface, then flip it over with the bench knife, now you see the smooth surface in the top.
Gently shape into a round, and let it rest for 30 minutes uncovered.  Work gently at this point.  Using the bench knife to work with is preferable.  I may work it a little too long, and I tore the dough, I hope it won't cost me not having the perfect baked loaf.

G.8.20. Lightly flour the top of your dough round and flour the work surface.  With this recipe use a little more flour on the surface than usual, the dough will be sticky and wet. Flip the round and shape into a batard.


After shaping, let rest on the bench for a few minutes and then place it into a banneton that lightly dusted with white rice flour.


H.8.30
Cover the banneton with plastic and let it rest for 20 minutes, then retard in the refrigerator for 12-14 hours.

I. Bake at 9.55
Next morning at 8.55 preheat oven to 225 degrees C, put the dutch oven pot to heat up for one hour.
Take the dough out of the refrigerator pre-baking, and transfer to a peel with baking paper and sprinkle with rye flour.
9.55 Bake in the dutch oven which has been heated for one hour (be careful it is scorching),  first take the lid off, load the dough in, replace the cover and put it in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
After the time is over, take the lid off and continue baking for 25-30 minutes.
Take the bread out the oven and transfer to the cooling tray to cool.
The Best Batard, So Far. I Did it!
Beautiful Baked Batard
One of Country Loaf Sourdough Bread

They say to have one master to follow is the best way.  It could be right.  In my sourdough bread learning and baking, I am comfortable to learn from experts. For this baking, my reference is Tartine Book and also of the Perfect Loaf.  Both have a similar technique and approach.
The baking method, I decided to follow Tartine, and it worked beautifully.  Look at the result, the picture says it all.

To bake this sourdough- batard, I modified a recipe based on the Perfect Loaf, it's easy to follow, and I am pleased with the result.
The Moment of Truth, The Crumb.  WOW

It has been delightful work, the country loaf batard was baked almost to perfection.  
We tested it and was delicious, the crumb is soft and light, the crust is thin and chewy.  But I would like to have the brittle and crisp crust. Is it possible?


Learn more, do more reading, and put into practice. I am not sure when will be the next baking. I know baking is addictive!
I made it.  Love my sourdough bread Batard. It looks AWESOME!


Susy

No comments:

Post a Comment